How do I know which is better or more ideal

Started by jimbob, June 09, 2004, 10:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

512-J201      J201      Fairchild Small Signal Transistors
TO-92 .$ 0.320    

781-J201    J201    Vishay/Siliconix N-Channel FETs
TO-92 25V 0.7mA  $0.53

Of the two, which would be more ideal for Distortions such as Joe D's proj like the vulcan or Thunderchief? Or for that matter, many of Runoffgrooves's projects?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

R.G.

There is no way to know ahead of time. The worst thing you can do is to trust someone else's opinion of a sound.

In fact, the manufacturers themselves will only guarantee that the devices are within the min/max ranges of specifications for that device type. Those specifications vary from batch to batch within the same manufacturer and across manufacturers.  None of the items on the guaranteed spec list mention anything about tone, or perfection for a purpose.

Pay your money, try it out, and if you don't like what you get, keep looking.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

aron

csj

I just bought several items from this guy. He combined the shipping and kept it cheap. The package got here (FL) in maybe 3 days from CA. well wrapped and in static safe bags. I'm happy with the product and the service and I'll buy from him again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4666&item=3820794434

Clay Jones