Locked Thread

Started by Fret Wire, June 09, 2004, 11:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fret Wire

I'm confused and curious. Someone started a thread about a foreign schematic site. Turns out they post IP without permission. The person removes the link, no harm done. Then there is ensuing discussion about IP and copyrights.

During this discussion, someone voices an opinion, very strongly though, that happens to differ from the majority who post here. No out and out name calling to anyone specific, but a little bit of language, and a healthy dose of sarcasim. And no IP or copyrighted material was posted.

Why was this thread locked????? We just had a recent thread that had degenerated into serious name calling, had no redeeming value, the originator had begged to have the thread locked, and was ignored until he got a verbal beating from some other members. Other threads have been the same or were just on the verge of posting someone's IP that would have objected.

This thread had none of the above. The opposing opinion, regardless of what you think, was just that, an opposing opinion. An opinion on a law he disagreed with. He was cordial to the only other person who debated with him.

Aron and Pete, it's your house, your rules, but it's time to re-clarify them. You can rationalize this one anyway you want, but this thread was locked for an opposing opinion, nothing more. We now have two threads that the originating members requested to have locked. One was serious name calling, and was not locked for awhile. The last, was a strongly opposing view, that was locked in minutes of being requested.

Just like the law that was being debated, your law doesn't have to be fair, but should be applied fair.

Edit: I did not post an opinion either way on that post, I'm just wondering about it being locked.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Peter Snowberg

I locked Ton's thread because he made the request. Nothing more. As everybody knows, there is little moderation here and we all sort of moderate ourselves. Since that was a Puretube thread and he made the request to end it, he got his wish. I'll do the same for anybody and there was no active policing of anything in that case from either Aron or myself. From a moderation standpoint, that thread was acceptable to me.

That last thread that was out of control I did lock because it was out of control. As could be seen, I didn't jump to lock it when it got a bit "off". Too bad it just kept getting more bent. I tend to hope that people will come around and be nice and that each steamed thread will end in a big hippy-dippy group hug. :D

I might have killed the nasty thread sooner had I been around the computer more. I just happened to be around when the close-request was made for the latest thread so it was handled right away.

Thanks for asking about this. I don't want any mysteries of operation here. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

puretube

Hi there Fret Wire:
I would have rather deleted the post (which is not possible, here),
than just edit it and remove the link immediately after R.G.`s
(justified) remarks.
I stupidly edited the subject of the post
(unintentionally) with words, the meaning of them may have been misinterpreted, and lead to a completely redundant discussion.
That first post is absolutely meaningless without the link,
and such an exaggerating discussion about its editing
nasty, unneccessary, and
just not worth it.
Seeing where it lead to (just a tiny step away from flaming and
bad name-throwing...),
I asked the moderators to lock it, before some people start
making fools of themselves and others.
That it happened so soon after the request, is a funny coincidence
of 2 people sitting at their PCs half the world apart,
during extreme ends of their time-zone workingday  :lol:

puretube

hah, it happened again: while writing the last post, I didn`t see
that Peter had already answered...

think I need a 2-monitor workplace  :lol:

Fret Wire

Peter, I guess I keep forgeting that You and Aron are not glued to the PC 24/7. I went back and compared other locked threads, and didn't see where this was ready to be locked. Puretube, you're right, it was on the verge of a flame thread, but looked like it was going back to being civil. Then again, it could have gone either way, and a flame thread does no good. And you're right, it was going somewhere off it's original subject.

Easy to moderate from the sidelines, right? You and Aron do a wonderful job. I would be less tolorant, not of the subject matter, but of the people. Probably why I don't get asked to moderate any forums. :wink:

And no, I'm not the anti-moderator type, the dissention type, or the general "bite the hand that feeds you" type. I was lust curious why the thread was locked at the point it was. I'm understand your reasons now, it can't always fit into a black and white situation.

Specifically, I was also getting interested in where the thread was going. I get the feeling that the person who expressed the strong views (right or wrong) isnt alone in that view. I was curious to see if others who felt like he did were going to step up to the plate, or watch silently how his views were recieved before they said anything. I'd like to see him start his own thread on the topic to see who says what. I was very interested in the human nature aspect of the thread when you pulled the plug. Even this thread is a good example. Was I the only one who wondered why the thread was locked? Doubt it. But no one replied with a "yeah, why did you lock it". Why because they wanted to see what You and Aron said first, and if I was going to be bounced for asking. And now that it's safe, they will chime in, no doubt.

Thanks for answering Peter and Puretube. The thread was going off the original intent.  :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)