got some VERY small FETs here......

Started by lightningfingers, June 10, 2004, 06:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningfingers

I found some old FETs on my bench today (later research showed that they were BF511s). I've looked at the datasheet and they look okay to go in the Phase 45 clone, but these things are TINY. Seriously they are about 2mm by 5mm and I can't even get the pins in a socket. Think it would be okay to solder longer legs to these pins or would that kill them? I wouldn't want to do that......
U N D E F I N E D

Torchy

Send me some and I'll try for you  :wink:

I had some sub-miniature bipolars before ... as long as you heat-shunt the thin legs and you're really quick with the iron you should be ok ... mine were. The size sounds like a tiny E-Line package (like the ZTX... range maybe ?).

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you freshly solder the end of a piece of wire, then just remelt the end as you touch it to the fet, you can incerase the 'leg'. But, you want to hold the fet down somehow as you do it. It won't be very good mechanically, so maybe put hot glue or epoxy over the thing afterwards.

Ge_Whiz

Definitely sound like Zetex E-line packages. Since the packaging is so small, they dissipate heat very effectively and many devices of this type can dissipate two watts or pass an amp of current. Similarly, they are surprisingly less prone to overheating when soldering, so should be easy enough to use.

lightningfingers

thanks guys :D  these small FETs are cool, they take up so little space
U N D E F I N E D