Quietest Distortion/Overdrive Suggestion?

Started by crawler486, June 10, 2004, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crawler486

Im thinking of building another Distortion or Overdrive.
Can you please suggest which one, based on your previous
build you think is the most quiet, less hum, less hiss and less of all
those unwanted noise..

Thanks guys...

Marcos - Munky

zener

Not to be sarcastic but, it seems that distortion builds, especially hi-gain carries noise with them most of the time. Not to mention that we're in a country where many DIY components aren't around :( .  

I've tried 10 or more fuzzes/distortion/overdrive already and I can't remember any of those that has a significant less amount of noise. It seems all of them are inherently noisy especially at high levels. I use to play with the gain/drive pot at max. Maybe I'm starting to get use with all the noise.

A noise gate might help. Maybe you should just think that all distortions have the same level of noise and ask fot what pedal can give you the distortion you want the most.

I may be wrong. I'm just speaking based on what I heard from all of my builds. My builds include Muff Fuzz, Big Muff, mosfet Multiface, Sansamp GT2, Rocket, Smash Drive, Hot Silicon and 2 wah (opamp and inductor-based). I've used 2N5088 for everything that calls for 2N5089 (we don't have 2N5089 here), maybe that's one avenue where noise can be reduced.
Oh yeah!

Ed G.

Like someone said, try the fet pedals at runoffgroove.com. FETs are pretty quiet. The BSIAB is pretty quiet also.

Nasse

CMOS inverter thingies is said to be quite low noise (if done properly)
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

The choice of opamp seems to make a difference.
 I would bet anyone who's A/B'd a 741 oa compared to a high precision/low noise option could attest to this.
 Metal film? resistors are said to provide biasing noise improvement, especially in the higher value ranges.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.