No effect in effect mode

Started by Deep Blue, June 10, 2004, 01:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

I have a boutique 69 fuzz face I built.. and bypass works, and when I switch to effect mode, it sounds clean, like I'm playing through bypass.  I can slightly manipulate the signal (mostly volume) using the pots, but something is obviously wrong.

Where there is supposed to be a 10k trim pot, I just put a 5k resistor.  Would that explain it?  Would being able to adjust that trim pot make that big of a difference in the tone?

I'm using germanium trannies from small bear with transistor sockets.. Should I try getting rid of the sockets?  Audio probe doesn't help because I don't have any signal loss.
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

ExpAnonColin

Good to see you back, deep blue...

Check all of your connections all over the place.  That sounds like a problem...

And yeah, you do want a trimpot in there, if you don't have a trimpot lyting around , just use a norrmal pot, although I can't see that as the source of your problem.

-Colin

Deep Blue

My connections?  Alright, I'll give my wiring another looksee.  I used sort of crummy wire, which might be a problem.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way.  I was getting sick of all these random pedal parts all over the place, so I finally went out and got myself another soldering iron so I can dig back into this jazz.  :)
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

petemoore

Did you look at the transistor pin's voltage readings?
 Does it do the same thing withought battery conneccted?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Deep Blue

I would, but I don't have access to a multimeter of any sort.

I'm using a DC jack instead of a battery...  And, actually, at the moment, I can't get it to work at all.  I'm sure it's just shorting in various places - I've got it half out of box, half in, so it's sort of a mess.  In any case, I'm gonna go ahead and rewire a bunch of it.
--Deep Blue
resident newbie