OT: Peavey Bass Amp

Started by Somicide, June 11, 2004, 01:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somicide

I've been designated the Electronics Dork of my band, and i just wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with the Peavey TKO 80 Bass Amp.  Ours is currently sounding crackly and distorted if it vibrates too much.  Lemme try and explain... It'll work fine, but during sustained low notes (heavy vibes) it'll start to sound crappy.  Then, if we smack it, it works fine til it vibrates more.  Any ideas on what could be causing this?  I have no clue on this one...
Peace 'n Love

Eric H

Quote from: SomicideI've been designated the Electronics Dork of my band, and i just wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with the Peavey TKO 80 Bass Amp.  Ours is currently sounding crackly and distorted if it vibrates too much.  Lemme try and explain... It'll work fine, but during sustained low notes (heavy vibes) it'll start to sound crappy.  Then, if we smack it, it works fine til it vibrates more.  Any ideas on what could be causing this?  I have no clue on this one...
Start with the simple things --loose/dirty input jacks can cause  intermittent ground connections --same with output jacks. Look for components, and wires that are most likely to vibrate (large, hanging in air, etc.), and check their connections.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Somicide

Thanks, I've currently been trying to find a damn schematic.  
Although, i think just about every part of this thing is hanging.  I'm just hoping its not a specific component.  Thanks again!
Peace 'n Love

Nasse

I had similar problems with our bass player speaker cabinet many years ago, it was old -V-O-X-  2x12 cabinet with greenbacks.

The problem then was the speakers. The flexible wire from terminal to voice coil was broken (You can see it behind the speaker maybe)

Try the amp with another speaker cabinet, and the speakers with another amp
  • SUPPORTER

Lonestarjohnny

Good Advice Nasse, on most of the new type S/S amps Alot of time's it's just a loose input jack, most of these amps have the black plastic housing that get's knocked loose from the circuit board,on the newer Fender amps, guy's have a lot of problem's with them because of the way the cord stick's up in the air with no support, when you use a heavy duty cord on a light wieght jack you should always try to support the cord in some fashion, Like looping it through the handle, this keeps you from putting such a strain on these flimsey jack's and circuit boards just in case if you were to step out to far and pull on the Jack, it does'nt take much pressure to pull these loose from the board, same with the cheaper pot's on these style of amp's, one spill in the back of the car or truck because you never secured it and you can knock these loose from the board, you'll find some of these amp's do not have retaining hut's on the shaft of the pot, so 1 bump and you got major problem's.
Loose wireing and bad Speaker's can also cause the Crapping out sound you may be hearing, just check everything that could be loose and then do the test Nasse reccomended.
JD

Mike Burgundy

Are these the Peavy cabs with those metal strips "holding down the baffle" on the front?
I've regularly seen these come loose at a rehearsal studio I worked at. They rattle annoyingly...See if pressing against those helps. If this is the problem, tack them down somehow, or take them off.