Painting my box

Started by theaxeman, June 11, 2004, 05:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaxeman

Hi all!

I am wondering what sort of paint i could use to paint the case (diecast aluminium) of my stombox? also what sort of clear coat should i use after aplying the decals?

lightningfingers

Hi

I use auto spray, its cheap and can stand being stood on. You won't get spectacular finishes though....
U N D E F I N E D

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: lightningfingersHi

I use auto spray, its cheap and can stand being stood on. You won't get spectacular finishes though....

Really?!?!? I've gotten great results with Duplicolor paints and Clear Coats in the spray cans. Just follow the directions and take your time.
Takle a look
http://homebrewelectronics.tripod.com/HomeBrew/TPSpecial.html
http://homebrewelectronics.tripod.com/HomeBrew/BoxTemplete.html
Marcus Dahl

Fret Wire

Don't forget to use a self-etching primer also. Duplicolor also makes a green colored self-etching primer that works very well. It's green color hasn't been a problem, I've painted boxes cream color over it.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

theaxeman

Thanks guys. I think i will use car paint. How much will a can of paint, a can of clear coat and a can of primer cost?

Fret Wire

Roughly $5-$8 a can. Since Duplicolor makes primers, colors, and clearcoats, using the same brand will be compatable with each other. And the primer and clearcoat will be used for all your boxes.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

phillip

I like Plasti-Kote Clear Super Lacquer for a glossy clear coat to protect decals.  I agree with Marcus...I just used some Duplicolor Light Blue Metallic (Acrylic Lacquer) on my new Ross Compressor clone and it works excellent...dries very fast and very hard.

What I've been doing lately on most of my Hammond B boxes is to use a hand sander with 150-grit paper and do the "swirl sanding" finish on the top, sides, and bottom plate, then wash the box with water and Comet cleaner to remove sanding residue, dry it off and apply one coat of clear laquer to prevent the aluminuim from oxidizing.  Then I run upstairs and apply the water-slide decals, let them dry for an hour or so, and then apply about 2 or 3 more coats of clear lacquer to seal the decals in.

Not using any color paint saves your some time and possibly a headache, because some paints really suck for stompbox use ;)

Phillip

u1061810

I fell upon a combination that gives you that neat crackle effect.

Rust-Oleum Hammered, then a few coats of Dupli-Color clear.You don't even need to prime it with the Rust-Oleum Hammered.

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: u1061810I fell upon a combination that gives you that neat crackle effect.

Rust-Oleum Hammered, then a few coats of Dupli-Color clear.You don't even need to prime it with the Rust-Oleum Hammered.

That's what I use on my main pedal line, but I don't get a crackle effect. What is happening there for you is the paint hasn't dried all the way through thouroghly. How long are you letting the Hammered finish set up or do you by any means bake the enclousures after applying the hammered finish.
Marcus Dahl

Lonestarjohnny

Hey Axe, That Sound's Naaaasty, did'nt your papa teach you no Hygene,
:lol:  :lol:
Just Joken, If you want a neat Wrinkle Finish with A MAN'LY LOOK to it, go to your Favorite Auto shop and you can get this, but if you wanna go High Dollar and Make all them Yamaha rider's Jealous, go to the Harley shop and get thier HighTemp Wrinkle finish Engine paint,talkin Tuff  Now  !  :twisted:
you wanna clean the fresh dripping motor oil, Whoop's Wrong Thread,
you wanna clean the pedal box suface with thinner, lay it out in the sun about 30 min. shoot it while it's warm, and as it dries, watch it wrinkle,
now a few Harley Sticker's and you got your first HD Pedal.
8)  8)  8)
JD