Les Paulverizer

Started by sirreg, June 11, 2004, 12:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirreg

Anyone ever attempt building a Les Paulverizer effect before?

Joe Viau

I found this clip from an old on-line issue of USA Today:

Les Paul: The Les Paulverizer is what I called it. I created a little radio show I did every Friday where I could do anything I wanted. As the ideas progressed to do everything in multi-track (I invented the machine, the delay, the echo, all that), I decided to keep experimenting. How to you tell the listener that you're only one guitar player when they're hearing an orchestra? I came up with a simple idea that I would call this my invention, the Les Paulverizer. It was my way of getting across the idea of this "magic" box I had. I took this idea of multitrack recording to Capitol Records and hit with "How High the Moon". How do you walk on stage and perform this material with only two people on stage? Well, I made a black box and put it on the stage, and did exactly what I had done on the radio show. I used that box to control machinery offstage to create that sound.

Do a Google search on Frippertronics and you'll get some interesting stuff.
I had always thought that Les Paul had everything on-board his guitar when in fact the above reveals that there's off-stage devices as well.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"  :lol:

Eric H

Danny Gatton built a similar controller --hooked to an echoplex IIRC. You might try a search on him, also.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Ben N

Anybody remember the duo Timbuk-3 and their boombox?
  • SUPPORTER

Eric H

Quote from: Ben NAnybody remember the duo Timbuk-3 and their boombox?
I was getting along fine, until you reminded me.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Ben N

• SUPPORTER