shorting vs. non-shorting rotary switch questions

Started by PB Wilson, June 13, 2004, 02:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB Wilson

I'm planning on ordering some rotary switches for a few projects and found some Lorlin ones in Mouser's catalog. Among the 1/4" shaft switches they fall into two categories: shorting (Make-Before-Break) and non-shorting (Break-Before-Make) as described in the catalog.

Which ones should I get for the Matchbox and McMeat projects? I once ordered a non-shorting rotary switch for my Great Cheddar (Big Cheese clone) as R.G. listed in his plans. Should I go for these? What's the difference in layman's terms? Thanks!

phillip

The shorting (make before break) switch actually connects to the next set of contacts before breaking the connection with the previous set of contacts...shorts them together before disconnecting from the other.

The non-shorting (break before make) switch will break the connection from the previous set of contacts completely before connecting with the next.

I guess either one would work.  I'm not sure which one would offer the best switching in terms of no "clicks" or "pops" when you put it into another position.

Hope this helps some!
Phillip

PB Wilson

It does in fact help me realize what the terms mean. I haven't had any crazy pops or problems when I switch settings on my Great Cheddar, and I won't change settings on the pedals I'll be making, so either one should work. Thanks!