is there a way to run a guitar amp directly into a board?

Started by marrstians, June 15, 2004, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrstians

is there a way to run a guitar amp directly into a board for recording purposes? i know if you don't hook up something to the ouputs you could blow your amp but would running into a mixing consule be ok? i'm not sure...

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

The mixing board inputs would have fun with that.
 No, the amount of output the amp produces is not for plugging into a mixing board, you want something low resistance, like speakers to provide a load to the output of your amp.
 None of these ways sound exactly like your amp.
  The most common way is with a microphone, but there are other ways.
 Digital modeler
 Cab Sim
 Effects into board

SoundTech

Some amps have a 'line out' for just such purposes.  It's also possible to use the 'preamp out' if you have that available.  Obviously you don't want to use the power amp's output.  That would be bad.  Other than that, instead of going into an amp, you can go into a DI box, then into the board.  However, you lose the tone of your amp, and usually the frequency response going straight through the DI is much wider than that coming out of your guitar speaker.  If you have a cab sim you like, you can use that into a DI.  The easiest thing to do is mic the amp.  That way you get all the tone (or lack there of sometimes) of the guitar/FX/amp/speaker rig that you're used to using.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

marrstians

if i was to use the preamp out what could i do about disconnecting the speakers? i want to try to use my amps sound into a board but with very little to no noise...

gtrmac

Weber VST makes a device for this called MASS. If you run your amplifier without speakers connected you risk danmaging the output transformer.

travissk

The Preamp out won't go to the speakers; your amp should have a preamp section and a poweramp section. The preamp is where most to all of the tone-altering "crunch" is applied (although overdriving the power tubes provides that great sound most people are after), and also where you get a lot of the coloring of the amp.

From there you go to the power amp, which essentially amplifies the signal so it can drive the speakers.

Rackmount guitarists often have the preamp and poweramp sections in different units; sometimes the preamp is part of an effects unit like the Digitech 2110 (or 21-something). Other times it's a standalone Marshall unit. Sorry, I digress.

You can't connect the output of the power amp to the board, because it's too much for what the mixer expects. You -can- send the preamp output to the mixer as has been mentioned, however.

You can do this if your amp has a "preamp send" or more likely an "effects loop." Send the effects send to whatever in-loop effects you use, then to the board.

If your amp doesn't have an effects loop, you can either try to modify it, mic it, or just use a DI box or similar. Optionally you might want to use some sort of amplifier modeling device, be it a Sansamp, a V-AMP, a POD, a VST plugin on a computer, or any of the great JFET emulations we've seen lately at RoG.

Note: I'm pretty tired and therefore not completely confident in my information, especially when it comes to potentially blowing out your mixer... I'd wait for confirmation on this before trying it  8)

SoundTech

Quote from: marrstiansif i was to use the preamp out what could i do about disconnecting the speakers? i want to try to use my amps sound into a board but with very little to no noise...

You probably don't need to do anything.  If it's a solid state amp, then don't even worry about it.  If it's an all tube amp, and you send the preamp out to the mixing board, and no input to the power amp, then the power amp should just be sitting there amplifying a 0V input, so it should essentially just be idling, so it should be OK.  If you're using the preamp out, then you won't get speaker noise on the send to the mixer.  If you're putting your guitar amp in the same room as other instruments, and the other instruments are miced, and you're trying to DI your guitar into the mixer, and you're worried about noise from your amp leaking into the mics, just put the amp as far away from the mics as possible.  Also cover the speaker with blankets or other absorptive material to mask the hummmm that may be coming from it.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

petemoore

What kind of amp is this.. you want to do that?

ejbasses

either use a DI or go through a guitar pedal first so you will have a buffer in between the guitar and the board

try a boss pedal in bypass mode
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them

Lonestarjohnny

to answer your posted question, " At about 100 M.P.H. you should gain enough velosity to go completely through the board ", taken from an Article about the Who and Pete T.,  :lol: Just Jokin, look at any schematic at Schematic Heaven of an amp that has PreAmp Out, PreAmp In, study the schem, it'll show you where and how,
JD

Rain Dog

There is a device that I discovered a while back that connects between the output of the amp and the speakers that passes unchanged signal to the speakers and creates a line-out signal to go direct to the board.

It wasn't one of the various power brakes. It was designed for the vintage amp market.

Since I can't remember what it is called it may take me a while to find it.
This space for rent.

Paul Marossy

Rain Dog

Quote from: Paul MarossyI made this for such a situation as yours:
http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/LineOutBox.htm

Maybe that would solve your problem?
The main problem I see with that is your line out level will be affected by changes to the input level, thus flipping out the soundman.

It is nice to be able to adjust the volume on your amp without changing the board signal level.

These aren't DIY but it looks like these two will do the trick. Both convert power amp signals to line-level while still allowing you to power the speakers.

Behringer GI100 Ultra G Active DI Box  

Hughes and Kettner RedBox Pro Cabinet Simulator and DI Box
This space for rent.

Eddie

I can highly recommend the Behringer Ultra GI 100.
I bought this box two weeks ago. It is unbelievable good and costs around 30 $.Its a DI Box with switchable Cab Sim.

Power amp out---BehringerDi----------------------  to the guitar box and to Cab Sim Signal to Mixer.....

It sounds then microphone recordings at "home"level.

Try this!

Eddie

Paul Marossy

"The main problem I see with that is your line out level will be affected by changes to the input level, thus flipping out the soundman.

Yes, but wouldn't you have that problem no matter what kind of device that you would use? Well, I suppose that would all hinge on where your line level signal is originating, wouldn't it?

EDIT: I think the best thing to do would be to mic the amp. That way you get the flavor of the speakers and it is the most representative of what your amp really sounds like (not considering mic response and EQ at the mixer).

Rain Dog

Quote from: Paul Marossy"The main problem I see with that is your line out level will be affected by changes to the input level, thus flipping out the soundman.

Yes, but wouldn't you have that problem no matter what kind of device that you would use? Well, I suppose that would all hinge on where your line level signal is originating, wouldn't it?
You might be right. I am no expert on these devices. I do know that on my main guitar amp and bass amp the built in "Line-Out" level is uneffected by changes in the amps actual volume setting.

I should pick up that Behringer and try it out. I have a hot little Ampeg Jet II that I could use it with. The price is right at least.
This space for rent.

SnooP_Wiggles

If you got loads of cash you could:
buy a THD hotplate
http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm
They take an amps output and attuanate it. damn expensive though. That behringer one might be a better bet (assuming it doesn't affect tone). T

Gilles C

Quote from: EddieI can highly recommend the Behringer Ultra GI 100.
I bought this box two weeks ago. It is unbelievable good and costs around 30 $.Its a DI Box with switchable Cab Sim.

Power amp out---BehringerDi----------------------  to the guitar box and to Cab Sim Signal to Mixer.....

It sounds then microphone recordings at "home"level.

Try this!

Eddie

Ah Ah!  :)  I bought one too about a month ago. I needed one quick.

One of my best moves. It performed perfectly on the house PA at a jam.

The same here at home on my PC for home recording.

At the price they sell it, you can't beat them.

I still have a project on the table for a DIY DI box + sim, but it's nice to have a real one.