Anyone from Central London?

Started by crawler486, June 17, 2004, 01:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny G

Not central London, I Live in Ascot which is about a 45 min train journey from waterloo
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

crawler486

Quote from: Johnny GNot central London, I Live in Ascot which is about a 45 min train journey from waterloo

Hi Johnny, my company would be sending me to London for a training
and I was wondering if you happen to know any electronic store
wthin the vicinity of central London that sells stuff such as transistors or ICs and other components which is not available here in the Philippines.

I don't order online cause it would cost me a lot. In other words, I cant afford it..:)

Thanks for replying!!

rocket

there is at least  1  Maplin in London.
www.maplin.co.uk or . com.

they are a mail order  company but there are also stores.
they the have everything in the shops -don't expect to much.

crawler486

Quote from: rocketthere is at least  1  Maplin in London.
www.maplin.co.uk or . com.

they are a mail order  company but there are also stores.
they the have everything in the shops -don't expect to much.

Ive search Maplins website but can't find 2n5089 or j201s in there.
Don't they carry such items?

smoguzbenjamin

Maplin is like the UK version of Radio Shack ;) That says it all :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Kilby

For UK supplies the two best companys are Farnell and RS in that order.

When I was living in london there wasn't much in the center, however in the outlying areas there are some superb suppliers, for obscure (and normal parts).

Farnell do world wide delivery //www.farnell.co.uk and they have PDF data sheets of almost every product that they stock.

They also stock several mfgrs for many parts (beleive it or not opamps vary wildly).

Rob...

gez

Quote from: crawler486Hi Johnny, my company would be sending me to London for a training and I was wondering if you happen to know any electronic store wthin the vicinity of central London that sells stuff such as transistors or ICs and other components which is not available here in the Philippines.

As stated, there are plenty of places in the suburbs but not in the centre.  Cricklewood electronics isn't too far out from the centre and they do all sorts of obscure chips and trannies, but you pay through the nose for them!

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/

Mail order is pretty cheap over here and fast (usually next day delivery, so even if you're here for a short time it's worth considering).

www.esr.co.uk

www.rapidelectronics.co.uk

The only central Maplin store that is reasoably well stocked is the Bayswater/Queensway branch.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

crawler486

great! I'm familiar with the bayswater area.  It's near whiteleys.

How's the weather now in London. The last time I was there, it's always
dark, raining and very cold. Had a bad experience in a girly bar also :)

LeeM

gez

Quotegreat! I'm familiar with the bayswater area

Don't get your hopes up too high, it's better than most of their other branches in the London area, but it's still Maplin! (clueless staff etc)

QuoteHad a bad experience in a girly bar also

These places are for tourists only.  Enough disturbing items appear on the local news to prevent any local in their right mind from going anywhere near them.  Some of the dodgier places invite in poor suckers, ply them with one or two 'free' drinks, then present them with a bill for a few hundred pounds.  Anyone who refuses to pay up (very thoughfully they'll even frogmarch you to a cash till), gets the crap beaten out of them...or was your experience more along the lines of the one in the film 'The Crying Game' ?  :shock:

PS Weather exceptionally good...but will probably have the next ice age at the drop of a hat.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

crawler486

Quote from: gez

These places are for tourists only.  Enough disturbing items appear on the local news to prevent any local in their right mind from going anywhere near them.  Some of the dodgier places invite in poor suckers, ply them with one or two 'free' drinks, then present them with a bill for a few hundred pounds.  Anyone who refuses to pay up (very thoughfully they'll even frogmarch you to a cash till), gets the crap beaten out of them...or was your experience more along the lines of the one in the film 'The Crying Game' ?  :shock:

PS Weather exceptionally good...but will probably have the next ice age at the drop of a hat.

Yeah..they r extorting us 100pounds for 2 bottles of beer.
That's a whooping 10,200 buck in Philippine peso.
Little did they know that when it comes to money, we Filipinos
can never be intimidated. They settled for 10pounds.
God that bouncer was really big!!

Hehe ... the crying game. I have the gift to know one a mile away.

StephenGiles

I used to know a guy who fried a SSM2120 chip which he got as as free ample from the then UK agents, took it to a Maplin's branch and they changed it for him - so things sometimes work in your favour in that abomination of a store chain!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".