PTP wired pedals...

Started by marrstians, June 22, 2004, 12:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrstians

hey... i just built a ptp wired 70's fuzz yesterday cause i ran out of perfboard at 1am when i decided to start building and couldn't wait... anyways... i was wondering if anybody else does ptp and has any pics of the guts of any of their pedals... i want to know if i did an alright job....

bwanasonic

You first  :wink:

Kerry M

marrstians

my camera sucks so bad you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a perfboard or ptp pedal...

Gringo

I did a couple of ptp fxs, but they wewre simple builds. you can take a look at them at my site (under "quick and dirty builds").
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

mikeb

I don't use that method myself but this guy does (simple pic of FF clone):
http://www.bigtonemusic.com/fuzzclonepopluating.html

Mike

marrstians

i'll have to get a camera... i did true point to point so all the parts a suspended in air by other parts... kindof like an electrical spiderweb...

nightingale

Quotei did true point to point so all the parts a suspended in air by other parts... kindof like an electrical spiderweb...

i think those builds are formally refered to as "hanging gardens" around these parts..lol!
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

aron

PTP is cool and it shows that you have a firm grasp of the circuit!

Very nice!

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: nightingale
Quotei did true point to point so all the parts a suspended in air by other parts... kindof like an electrical spiderweb...

i think those builds are formally refered to as "hanging gardens" around these parts..lol!
AKA "Dead Bug" when chips are used. ;)

NOTE: For prototyping low noise and high frequency circuits, that type of construction on top of a layer of unetched PCB for a ground plane is the "correct" way to build. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Gringo

Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Mark Hammer

In fact some of the earliest Electro-Harmonix pedals were PTP-wired, with "spider-webs" of components stretching between jacks, pots, and switches.

Paul Marossy

It seems like that could take up a lot more room in an enclosure, but I haven't tried this method. Maybe it's not as bad as I would think...

Mark Hammer

The first E-H boxes, such as the LPB-1, Ego Booster, Muff Fuzz, etc., that came in those little tiny in-line boxes, were wired that way.  Having tried my damndest to install a MOSFet booster into one of them with perfboard using the smallest components I could find, the stingiest layout I could come up with, and conservative positioning atop a switch and tiny pot, I have to say that PTP proved to be remarkably space-conserving.

The PTP wiring we are most familiar with is that seen in tube amplifiers, which tends to be rather two-dimensional (flat).  The type of PTP wiring the earliest E-H boxes used was more three dimensional.  In essence, it provided many of the advantages of something like stacked PC boards.  Of course, that luxury was afforded by having comparatively simple circuits in small boxes, where the distance to any relevant solder lug or component wasn't that far.  Wiring PTP, without perfboard, in a 1590BB would probably be risky and exasperating.

casey

i abosulutely love wiring pedals this way.  ptp and strip board
is the absolute best.  i did a son of screamer this way (well, most of
it).  and it stood up to mega abuse on the road.  i cant tell you how
many miles and shows that little pedal was involved in.
Casey Campbell

Paul Marossy

Hmmm... I am going to have try PTP on my next simple build just for fun. I could see how the three-dimensional aspect could apply now that I think about it a little harder.  :wink:

petemoore

Wrapped around a dowel rod...I think it was Ansil posted he did that...for a small circuit, would be good, drill holes through the rod, and plan it out...
 I've done ones with just 'through holes' and weave the parts throught the holes, soldering under or over the bookcover.
 I did some with copper 'nails', into a board, then it looks like a boat docks rope fencing.
 Hanging gardens...too finicky and unreliable for my tastes, just wrapping the parts around something or poking  the leads through something adds alot of physical strength.
 I used to despise perf, till I got used to it, before that I would paste the schematic to the board, and drill a hole for each node to poke the parts leads through, or use the 'copper nail fencepost' method and solder the leads to the posts installed at each node.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.