OT - Your opinion about a webpage

Started by Gilles C, June 22, 2004, 09:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

I am testing new layouts for my future Web Page to replace the one I have on Tripod, and I would like to know if it is loading too slowly or correctly compared with what you are used to see.

http://gtechblues.fateback.com/Photo%20Album.html

This is just a temporary album right now, of a few pictures I use on my old site. And it is also on a temporary free hosting site. I can't access my real one where I am right now to upload my files.

But before I go any further with this kind of setup, I would like to have a few come-backs if possible.

Thanks a lot.

Gilles

Lonestarjohnny

It loads just fine down here in Tejas Amigo,
Cool lookin site, like the layout, how many hr's take you to do that Gilles ? 8)  8)  8)
JD

Gilles C

Thanks for the positive comment.

I am using a program (WebStyle by Xara) that already has templates available for a quicker designs.

But the generated files have to be edited before they can be used.

In short, it takes more time to learn how to use the program and what to edit after that. But it should be faster when I'll know how to use everything...

And I am using a fast cable internet connexion, so everything looks fast over here. That's why I was wondering about the speed.

Thanks again,

Gilles

Marcos - Munky

I liked it a lot. Loads OK for me.

joao bernardo

Sic

loads great here, couple pics are slower than others, but no complaints here.

strungout

I'm on cable, loaded like a charm. That slideshow window is a great way to browse through pictures.

Reminds me I have to move my site to. Didn't like at all that tripod forced free accounts to have both popups and static ads (crappy to work around with frames...)

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Paul Marossy

Xara is a great program, I hear. Wouldn't mind getting a copy of it for myself...

Mark Hammer

J'ai utilisé Firefox 0.9 pi Win XP au travail et ça fonctionnait assez vite pour moi.

Those Pac Tec extruded aluminum boxes don't come cheap, do they?

I think I still have some of those rechargeable 4V cells that I bought for you sitting in a bag in my garage.

(P.S.: We had another water incident in our basement this week.  It was the second time in 18 months that we had to pack up everything you saw in my finished basement and move it out of the room so that they could tear out the floor and walls.  Un mot....FA...TI...GUÉ.)

casey

looks great....the only thing i would say, would be that i would
change the color of the "prev" and "next" tabs on the bottom of the
picture pages....they were hard to see in that color....
i found myself searching for them.....

i would go with white for the unselected and yellow or bright green
for the selected.

just a thought.

good looking site bro...
Casey Campbell

smoguzbenjamin

The window that opens to show a pic is only about 1 square inch on my 1280x1024 screen :? That should be bigger. But on the whole - nice site! :D
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Eric H

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminThe window that opens to show a pic is only about 1 square inch on my 1280x1024 screen :? That should be bigger. But on the whole - nice site! :D
It expands to full size if you wait for the pic to load completely --at least it does in Mozilla.
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

smoguzbenjamin

I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Gilles C

Thanks all for the comments. I appereciate the fact that you checked it.

I was affraid that too many details in the page would slow it down too much.

Now I know I can use this layout and go ahead in the rebuilding of my site, without the popups and ads.

Btw, my final site will be hosted by eDataRack ( http://edatarack.com/
). I signed with them over a year ago when they were at $2.95/month, and was always satisfied with their service since the beginning.

I also use the free hosting at FateBack ( http://fateback.com/ ), but the uploads are limited to 200K. The good point is the very small banner they add. It's not as bad as Tripod...  :cry:

Quote from: Mark HammerThose Pac Tec extruded aluminum boxes don't come cheap, do they?

I think I still have some of those rechargeable 4V cells that I bought for you sitting in a bag in my garage.

(P.S.: We had another water incident in our basement this week.  It was the second time in 18 months that we had to pack up everything you saw in my finished basement and move it out of the room so that they could tear out the floor and walls.  Un mot....FA...TI...GUÉ.)

Not cheap Mark, but I love them... I try to use them only for serious projects like a Signal Generator, and a few test boxes. One of them using 4V batteries for +/-12V (glad to know you still keep some 4V batteries aside for me Mark  :P )

Sorry to know about the water incident, after seeing the stuff you have in your basement, I believe you when you say you are tired (FA...TI...GUÉ)

-------

Casey, I always welcome good critisism. I'll check about the color change.

And yes, the pictures beging to show in a small window that grows when the picture finish loading. It could take longer when the net is slow.

Pfiou... Lot of typing.

I'll give you news when the hard work is done...  :roll:

Cheers all... 8)

Gilles

Gilles C

For those interested, this one is very good. And with it, you can make photo albums too.

http://www.enersoft.ch/_sgt/m2_1.htm

And if you only want to generate photo albums.

http://jalbum.net/index.jsp

I tested many free programs to help build a site, and those two are worth trying or using.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Anyone wanting to make a web page could do worse than check out:
www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

EdJ

Looks great.loads perfect.
Greetings,Ed