Small clone build report & questions

Started by dubs, June 23, 2004, 08:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubs

Hey Guys
Just finishing building a small clone from FP layout. Nice tight layout, easy enough to build.
Sounds quite nice but not as good as the analog man Clone Chorus which sounds fatter and richer. Must say his is the benchmark.
My comments and questions:
-   Use a 1M reverse log pot  for rate - gives much smoother range through rotation of pot
-   Swapped 2.2uf for 1 uf for much faster LFO. No need for toggle switch b/w 2.2uf and 1uf as previously documented, 1 uf will just give you greater range (analog mike does this)  
-   The 100k depth pot mod is not smooth. At min setting it turns the effect off altogether and after that seems to max depth and no in between. Any way to improve the smoothness and so the effect won’t switch off at min setting? Analog mike uses a 10k linear pot which I found to be alittle better but not smooth like AM.
-   I think it needs to be balanced better b/w wet and dry signal. AM is rich and thick and you can’t really hear the distinction b/w wet &  dry signal. Here I can hear both the chorus and dry signal which is probably more prominent.  Looking inside AM circuit he uses 100pf to the CD4047 and 0.0027uf cap (not 0.0039uf as some people documented). So that theory for that being the  secret cap goes out the window!