i built a green ringer.....

Started by Brian Marshall, June 24, 2004, 12:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

i was unimpressed.  I modded it by putting a bypass cap over the first transistor for more gain..... still sounds like gated nails on chalk board to me.

nightingale

i play/record with a green ringer~
it's kind of a "fuzz accessory" try it after a fuzz pedal.. it won't be so gatey and blatty.. you should hear a real bonecrushing type of fuzz.. it seems to like tape echo alot too..
hth,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

bwanasonic

Also be sure the middle transistor has a low HFE.  This is not a *whole cloth* effect, and really works best when paired either pre or post with a fuzz or some such.

Kerry M

Ge_Whiz

Funny, mine works just fine on its own - makes a good sitar sound, and octaves above a certain input level. No gatey/blatty sounds at all. Make sure you use silicon diodes, not germanium.

maximee

i just finished mine too...
and as i thought...i didn't really like it...sounds like a weak octave down telephone to me :)
i didn't like the sound samples on GGG either...so I don't really know why I even built this...I guess I was blinded by it having no knobs and therefore being a cheap and easy third build :)

Mark Hammer

Make sure you've selected your diodes right and/or used JC Maillet's variable nulling option to improve matching.  It's still not a showcase effect in my books, but manages some interesting tonal twists for a small investment.  Personally, I'm far more impressed with Tim Escobedo's "Jawari" (http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/jawari.gif) on a fun-per-parts-count ratio.

Paul Marossy

I built the Jawari. It's a cool one.  8)

jsleep

I strongly disagree with all this talk that you need a fuzz before it.  I'm sure it sounds good with a fuzz preceeding it, but it shouldn't _need_ to have it.  When built properly it is one of the best stand-alone effects I've heard, far outshining the others of this type of circuit (IMHO).  For proof of some of what it can do all by itself,  listen to the sound sample

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/sounds/green_ringer.mpga

If you have gating and blatting, then the transistor bias is probably off.  Also as noted, Q2 should be very low gain for best sound.

JD Sleep
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

jimbob

I really liked mine as well. Low part count and interesting sound with or without a fuzz. I just finished Joe's Shocktave which reminds me of  green ringer on crack! But fun! They both seem to have thier own personalities. I cant say theyll be a common/standard effect of my board, but there a lot of fun to pull out every now and then and play with.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

strungout

I like mine too. Mostly tho, I use it with the bridge pup and another one out-of-phase, very sitar. As for the octave efect, I use the neck pup with the tone rolled down all the way.

I wish it rang longer tho :D
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Mark Hammer

I don't get anything as consistently decent-sounding as the posted sound-sample.  I suspect that individual differences in input stage gain and guitar output level may have something to do with getting optimal sounds.  I think it behaves better with a bit of boost ahead of it in some instances.

jsleep

Quotedon't get anything as consistently decent-sounding as the posted sound-sample

Having spent a considerable amount of time tweaking around with this, I can tell you that transistor selection is critical to get it to sound like the sample, probably the most important factor.  I'm not convinced that you need a hot guitar or boosted input to get there, but I'll consider the possibility and do some more experimenting.  

Using metal film resistors, good caps and consistant use of transistors types, I've been able to consistantly crank out over 25 of these units that have the same good sound.  I'll also say that the guy doing the sample is a good player and really knows how to "play it" to get the best sounds.  To get those low notes to sound like that takes some knack.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

nightingale

i guess i could have been more clear~
as a stand alone effect.. single notes sound great.. but chords get pretty garbled.

when i use the GR after a tonebender, or a RM axis clone.. i get bonecrushingly wonderful full chords..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Jim Jones

Hey JD,

That clip sounds excellent!  I think I'll have to put one together.

Jim

Jim Jones

I perfed one up this weekend and I like it!  No overdrive before or after needed, just use the neck pickup with the tone rolled off for best results IMO.

JD's right about that 2nd transistor - use a socket there.  I got some gating with my first choice but the 2nd 2N3906 I tried worked perfectly.

Jim

Jim Jones

Tried it out again this morning (after my wife had left the house)  :) and I'm still diggin' it.  Tried my Dist +-type pedal in front of it and got some really cool tones!  I like the fact that it works "clean" as well as distorted.

Jim

thomas2

i tried it once.. i loved the sound clip when i heard it. used the generalguitargadgets pcb layout.. couldn't get it working.. i don't know why.. well that's in the past.. i've used the transistors for other projects..  i'm still gonna try making one someday. :roll:
tee se itse tai kuole