News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

4ms pedals

Started by Stu, August 30, 2003, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

What is the general consensus on 4ms pedals, i kinda like their sound (not very polished but they aren't designed for that). Pretty standard simple circuits. I never hear anyone talking about them on the forum.

Does any one own any and what do they think?
(I'm mainly interested in the tri pico and noise swash)

axr

i've built 2 tremulus lune, 2 phaseurs and a duo distorter, planing to build the atoner and triwave.

they are great, they have tons of knob but when you get how each knobs work you can get tones of sounds not availble in other pedals, i wish other makers let the diy hobbist build their designs at least the discontinued ones.

ExpAnonColin

I know there's a few people on the board that build them...

I personally love the 4ms pedals.. partially because of the company policy that they just give out all of their schematics and will modify any pedal to how you see fit before you buy it, but also because they're really cool pedals... I'm building a phaseur at the moment, and it really isnt hard at all thanks to their PCB layout PDF's they have on the site.

They also look really cool!   :wink:

Mike Nichting

Yeah, the pedals are really cool and so are the people and the idea behind the business~!!  Dann greene is an awesome guy and he helped me tremendously before I was directed to this forum.
they too have a forum like this one except it is geared more towards help building their effects and help with their products.

Check them out you won't be sorry that you built any of their effects or bought any for that matter. They have some cool artwork that you can get on the boxes or send in your box and they will do that as well.
I can't say it enough, they are very cool, much like evryone here~!!!

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Andy

what's the address to their main site and to the forum?  That sounds interesting.
Andy

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

[/url]http://www.3mspedals.com/[url]

while we are at it, let's boycott 3M induatrials!

Stu

I can't understand how a company wouldn't want to be in some way associated with 3ms pedals???

I think the whole commonsound idea is awesome and the dedication shown by Dan Greene is amazing. These pedals could be copyrighted and sold as a business, but the way he puts them out there for everyone to share ... total respect.

by the way the their forum is a direct link off their webpage.

troubledtom

well,
  being a part of commonsound you might that i'm bias. but it's not true , most of my orders come staight to me,
  www.troubledvariance.com

i love dann green like a brother. our pedalpods are 10 hours away from each other and we take turns visiting each other, modding, designing and tweaking together. this is soooooooooooooo fun!!!!!!!

4ms is very cool, also don't forget about mike both , what a smart, cool ,great guy. he'll be back w/ us soon he's in china teaching english for the next few months.
      peace to all the pedalpals, and thanx for bringing up this thread,
                  - tom pollock :twisted:

MarkB

At Tom's suggestion, I built a Noise Swash - cool noisemaker (though I somehow broke it - need to fix it).. I'd recommend building it.
If the other 3ms (or is it 4ms now?) pedals are as good as the Swash - build em!
"-)

Andy

Are those knobs and jacks completely necessary on those peds?  Or are they just for looks?  Pretty neat boxes.  Just can't get over the amount of external hardware!!   :P
Andy

Stu

If you want total control you need a hell of a lot of switches and knobs.

I've been thinking about the best boxes for making something with a bit more space for the knobs -> make them out of a computer case like an amp, any other ideas? Something that could sit on top of an amp or on stage. Think i'll be making a triwave soon, and a noise swash too.

sfr

how about a rackmount?  i mean, the computer case idea or whatever works well, but rackmount is nice cause it's expandable easily for next time you make an effect with four thousand knobs, and sometimes with the way different parts of an effect work, it's nice to think of things in a somewhat linear fashion with knobs running left to right, and different voices in different rows.  Plus you can get that cool modular-synth vibe going with patch cables between all yr different effects. . .

(sorry, i'm just a rack junkie, even though none of my guitar rig is rackmount)
sent from my orbital space station.

troubledtom

all the knobs make a big difference, believe me.
            peace,
                - tom[/img]

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Those early modems (about book size) are "just right" for 4MS!

yea i have built a triwave picogenerator (with rise/fall and dual cross mod).  I have also built a parallel phaseur fleur stereo biphase (two phaseur fleurs in one), a "biwave picogenerator" which has only 2 LFO's and a single tone generator, and a Noise Swash (that Moosapatamus has now).  

They are all very very cool.  the Swash is the craziest out of the ones i've built.  The Phaseur has great versatility, and should be considered a full-out modulation device (does phase, vibrato, and chorus excellently).  The Triwave is absolutely awesome... a very fun build and a great tweaking experience.

rx5

hi guys,

since you mentioned 4MS makes -good sounding- pedals and gives free schematics, could you possible post them here or give links??

many thanks... :D
BE d Bezt, Urz D Rezt... RoCk ON!!!

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

rx5

thanks for the link , mate... :wink:  :lol:  :o  8)

lot of PDF's..... :shock:  :D

planning to build the phaseur fleur.... :wink:
BE d Bezt, Urz D Rezt... RoCk ON!!!