News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Batman LED's

Started by Bent Penguin, June 26, 2004, 08:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bent Penguin

While playing with a superbright blue LED and a 3D program I came up with an odd Idea I wanted to share. Has this been done?

Since the LED's work well as mini flashlights why not aim them on the ground instead of up. This would work great in dark clubs and horrible in direct sunlight but I liked the picture so I had to post it. Even in my sunlit living room on light carpet a dim blue LED still makes a big blue spot that's easy to see even when your foot is on the pedal. It's more of a neon style glow than a pin point light. The angled LED housing will be tricky but I think I'm going to try it.

I guess it could also be built just like in the picture, not in the signal chain at all and just a stompbox with a light :)

Lonestarjohnny

Kewl,  8)  8)  8)
now to take a fine tipped magic marker and draw the bat image on the led and you got it,  :roll:  I think ?????
JD

SoundTech

Great, now they have Ground FX for FX.  You could throw a spoiler and some rims on there.  Just don't bend the rims when you stomp on the switch.  Go reaaaaaaaaly sloooooow.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

Yuan Han

that looks pretty cool !

I guess it would be more for an performance effect than using it to monitor if the effect is on or not. Perhaps oneday some one will have an effect that has its own miniture lightings (led) like mounted on miniture motors that would sweep around according to the LFO used.....

Han

Hal

underglow - raise the feet a little, and mount a couple LEDs on the bottom plate...

_that_ would be cool :-D

travissk

If you're running off of an adapter or don't mind the extra current draw, you could do both - or mount a row of LEDs down there :)

stm

Regarding the LED for illumination, the other day I read about VIOLET LED's and they said besides being violet (soooo cool!) thay make fluorescent stuff light up, such as hidden markings on money, id's, OR even something painted with fluorescent paint.

Said the above, I was thinking to use one of those beasts to illuminate a fluorescent sign that shows the effect status, but still haven't come up with a working idea.

Perhaps a VIOLET LED on top of the effect mounted somewhat horizontally could illuminate fluorescent lettering or signs.  Cool to have lit signs or markings in a dark place!

Hal

STM - I have a blue LED on my keychain that does it.  I have another Blue LED that doesn't...the one that does is a very deep shade of blue...pretty hot :-D

B Tremblay

I recently bought a box of Honey Smacks cereal that includes a Spider-Man 2 promotional toy: a wrist bracelet that projects a web design.  The web is actually sharper than shown in the photo.  Maybe the lens could be used in a pedal...

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Gilles C

I bought a laser pointer pen a couple of years ago, and I could change the image pattern it was projecting. From a small round to a star, etc...

I was depending on the screwed end.

Well, like this one.

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/KeychainLaserPointer.cfm

Cheap enough if you want to experiment.  :twisted:

Yuan Han

the spiderman thingie looks quite nice ! hopefully they have somethign like that in singapore.

An ultrabright could be used to illuminate a screen (tracing paper), with like a message written on it.

aron

Mike Burgundy

Great idea!
The automotive "ground effect" remark made me think of mini-neon bars - anyone know those?
Not for battery-fed padeals though ;)
Another idea: fibre optics! With a lens and a roughed up piece of fibreglass you have a diffuse light-emitting flexible rod.

Lonestarjohnny

How bout a clear/see through pedal case with a programmable light show on the inside maybe done with blinking LED's,  8)  :idea:  :?: ,
JD

Hal

and like...a fog machine on the inside, and some techno beatz commin' from the pedal...

smoguzbenjamin

Yeah and the effect would be a guitar synthy thingy and you could call it "Nightclub in a box" 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

SoundTech

When you're done with the light show, get a couple of 555's to feed some small solenoids, and use them to make the pedal hop.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

phillip

Quote from: SoundTechWhen you're done with the light show, get a couple of 555's to feed some small solenoids, and use them to make the pedal hop.

Jumpin' Jack Flash   :D

Phillip

punkaled

Quote from: JDHow bout a clear/see through pedal case with a programmable light show on the inside maybe done with blinking LED's,  8)  :idea:  :?: ,
JD

Thats a great idea, (that i might well steal ;) ) but how would you go about shielding such a box as it would have to made from plstic/perspex (i guess). It would be nice to showcase the handywork inside the box too (and i wouldn't have any worries about painting).
You see a lot of fancy lighting effects on computer cases nowadays, and clear computer cases have been around for a while i guess they must be shielded somehow?

What about a clear box, painted with some bits masked to remain clear after painting, and with lights showing through the clear bits, maybe even with negative printed decals to show lit up wording on the box?

Hal

Infinity Fencing Lame :-D

its a light, highly conductive (<3 ohm) threaded material  :-D

Kinda expensive for this pedal, though, but it shoudl work for the most pimped out ride.