Blew up my Ds1

Started by LeeM, June 30, 2004, 06:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeM

Hey,
i blew up my ds1, what i done is where your meant to plug a 9v battery into the charger i connected a battery clip i then connected the battery clip to the battery input on my DS1, could anyone tell me what ive proberly blown so i can replace it, pelase?

thanks. :D

MartyMart

Hi LeeM,
          That wasn't a good idea ! chargers are very different from a battery or PSU.
Hopefully you've only blown the resistor/diode that protects the circuit from inserting a battery the wrong way around, this is found on all Boss pedals and most others too!.
Usually they are on the board, near the +9v supply connection.
Go to www.fuzzcentral.com  where you'll find a great DS-1 schematic which will help find the components to test them.
Hope you have a multi meter handy?
Good luck,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

LeeM

Quote from: MartyMartHi LeeM,
          That wasn't a good idea ! chargers are very different from a battery or PSU.
Hopefully you've only blown the resistor/diode that protects the circuit from inserting a battery the wrong way around, this is found on all Boss pedals and most others too!.
Usually they are on the board, near the +9v supply connection.
Go to www.fuzzcentral.com  where you'll find a great DS-1 schematic which will help find the components to test them.
Hope you have a multi meter handy?
Good luck,
Marty.

Hey,

Thanks for your help, ive look at the schematic http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/ds1/DS1.gif

and have open my Ds1 but dont really know what im looking for.

i see your from london :D  same here

MartyMart

The input jack is what makes the +9v connection active ( ie; you need to remove the jack to save your battery from draining ) so.... look at the schematic from the input ( top left ) and follow the trace from the +9v symbol.
There should be a diode and resistor first ( poss D 1& R1 ? ) which do the protection duites.
So there shouldn't be any other components damaged !
I'd replace these first with the same values/ test them with your multi meter  OK?
Cheers, Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

LeeM

Hmmmm.... i can see it on the schem but no in the pedal :?

wizard

Just post some photos of your DS1 pcb and maybe some one could locate  the parts for you.
I DIY therefore I am.

LeeM

here it goes: this pic is extremely  bad quality and none will proberly be able to locate anything on it :cry:  cheap webcam

smoguzbenjamin

Could you get a closer shot at the part of the PCB where all the wires enter the board? That would make stuff more easier 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

LeeM

sorry pics quite blurry, if you want me to what the numbers are on the board let me know :(

LeeM

Here it is with the writing on it.

petemoore

Hook a battery up, and test the voltages of the OA pins...
 Battery dissconnected, hook the DMM [set to beep mode] black wire to ground and see if ground is made on the OA, then to batt clip + and see if the OA's + connection is made...the + test will tell if the protection parts is good or not.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

LeeM

Quote from: petemooreHook a battery up, and test the voltages of the OA pins...
 Battery dissconnected, hook the DMM [set to beep mode] black wire to ground and see if ground is made on the OA, then to batt clip + and see if the OA's + connection is made...the + test will tell if the protection parts is good or not.

i wish i understood that....OA pins?...Dmm, beep mode?.... :cry:

wizard

A power diode should look like this

The notation of a diode on PCB usually starts with D not O.
I DIY therefore I am.

LeeM

Quote from: wizardA power diode should look like this

i think i found that on my board, now what.. :?

MartyMart

Hey LeeM,
Looks like "D1" is the diode in question ( from my second post! ) i think its a "1N4001"  a very common diode, de-solder it and try a new one ( 10pence).
Its middle left in your photo "D1" is written next to it OK?
Marty.

LeeM

hey thanks yeah, i fount the diode, it has D1 next to it and IN4004 :D

phillip

I've repaired a DS-1 before that was brought back to the guitar store where I used to work.  The guy claimed that it didn't work right out of the box, but when I opened it up, I found that he had used a power supply with a reverse polarity tip.  The entire side of the polarity protection diode was blown off, and the IC was also fried (which I discovered after taking some voltage readings from the IC pins).

If the polarity protection diode is blown and shorted, then the pedal won't work in "effect" mode or in "bypass" mode because all the voltage is being shorted directly to ground (the battery would get VERY hot).  If the polarity protection diode is blown and open then the pedal would still work since the diode is in parallel with the power supply...unless something else is wrong.  If that's the case (pedal works in "bypass" mode but not in "effect" mode) then I would suspect that the IC has been toasted.  Mouser Electronics here in the US sells a JRC chip that will work in the place of the Mitsubishi M5223AL chip.  The JRC part number is NJM5532L and the Mouser part number is 513-NJM5532L.  Here's a link to the Mouser product page:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=484339&e_categoryid=268&e_pcodeid=51309

Hope this helps some!
Phillip

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)