Small Bear's Flat-Pack Transformers Are In!

Started by smallbearelec, July 01, 2004, 01:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

If you have been discouraged from building GOOD, powerful pedalboard supplies by the high cost of the Magnetek FP12-200 ($10.76 at Mouser), try one of my clones:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Ordering/Xfmr.jpg

At $5.50, I hope these get your juices going!

Regards
Steve D

Peter Snowberg

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

What's the quantity break and at how many units?

Thanks and congratulations. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Lonestarjohnny

cool, have you got  the spec's listed on your site Steve ?
JD

smallbearelec

OK--

10 @ $5.00
25 @ $4.75
50 @ $4.50
100 @ $4.25

I have posted a scan of the spec sheet here:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Ordering/Xfmrspec.gif

Ed Rembold

Steve,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.... I don't think that's enough transformer, I mean, don't you want to use the secondary windings individually (to have 2 outputs)?

Looks like the FP12-200 is only 6.3v (but that's rated at 400ma both windings in parallel, individually it would be 200ma output, maybe the voltage is high enough at say-50/100 ma load ?)

I dunno, could be OK, but too small I think.
Ed R.

smallbearelec

Hi Ed--

I guess it depends on how much someone wants to have an individual transformer/output for each pedal ($$$ no matter what transformer).  If you wire the outputs in series, you have 200 ma. at 9 volts to run into a power chain. I think a Small Wart based on this unit will satisfy a lot of needs for not much money.

RDV

My PSA-120 somehow mysteriously died between the last note I played Saturday night and yesterday when I plugged it in to try to test a circuit. So I may be ordering a couple and making me a monster supply.

RDV

Paul Marossy

RDV,

I'm not totally sure, but I think that PSA-120 might have an internal fuse...
I have one of those, too. I have never tried to look inside of it, but it will come apart rather easily, at least mine is constructed that way.

Ed Rembold

Yeah Steve,

You are right, if you do 1 output per transformer, it's plenty.

I guess I had in mind the 4 output, 2 transformer, design that Scott Swartz posted quite a while back.

Thanks, Ed R.

smallbearelec

Ed--

I kinda guessed that that's what you were thinking. The same factory that made these would do a 60-65 ma. version, and it's something i can put on the shopping list for when I have the capital. For now, I gotta pay bills and save money for taxes (grrrrrr...)

SD

RDV

Quote from: Paul MarossyRDV,
I'm not totally sure, but I think that PSA-120 might have an internal fuse...
I have one of those, too. I have never tried to look inside of it, but it will come apart rather easily, at least mine is constructed that way.
It was the classic 'wire broken where it goes in'. I've been through this drill before, so I fixed it by cutting off a few inches of wire and resoldering it back to the board.

Thanks

RDV

Paul Marossy

Oh, cool.  8)

But, is there a fuse inside of it? I have always wondered if there is or not. I have never taken min apart...

RDV

Quote from: Paul MarossyOh, cool.  8)

But, is there a fuse inside of it? I have always wondered if there is or not. I have never taken min apart...
No. There are 4 diodes, two caps, transformer, & a voltage regulator in mine.

RDV

jsleep

I got a couple of these and there's no markings for primary, does anyone know the pinout for this thing?!?!?!

AAARRGGG!

JD Sleep
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: jsleepI got a couple of these and there's no markings for primary, does anyone know the pinout for this thing?!?!?!

AAARRGGG!

JD Sleep
The spec sheet gives a pinout and a magnetic polarity of each of the windings, but it doesn't say which side is which.

Luckily, you can easily determine that with an ohm meter. Measure the DC resistance of pins 1 & 2 and then of pins 5 & 6. The higher resistance will be the 115V coil.

I'm assuming that 1&2 and 3&4 are the two 115V coils so with those numbers in mind. wiring up the primary for 115V would involve connecting pins 1+4 and pins 2+3 to the AC input. For 230V primaries it would be AC input to pins 1 and 3 and a jumper between pins 2 and 4. The secondary would be pins 5+8 and pins 6+7 for 6V or pins 5 and 7 as the outputs with pins 6 and 8 jumpered for 12V.

Again, that's assuming pins 1-4 are the primary. I don't have one to play with in person. ;)

Good luck!
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation