Tremolo/pan problem??

Started by MartyMart, July 01, 2004, 06:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Hi all,
Just dug out my Boss PN2, which have become quite collectable recently?
Its emitting nasty "clicks" each side of its cycle and also when bypassed!
any ideas ?
There's lots of 1 and 10uf caps, could some have gone bad and caused this
horrible clicking?
Many thanks,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

One or more caps may be bad, but note that a flattish battery can cause excess clicking with some LFOs.

MartyMart

Hrs later in the UK>>>>>>>
Thanks Paul, its the same on a fresh battery/9v PSU so i'm guessing caps.
Several have what looks like "White deposits" over their surface-electrolytics, which i've not seen before in any pedal.
I'll try swopping those for tantalums/Polyester caps.
Any other ideas?
Thanks, Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

MartyMart

:)  Changed out 8 caps for more expensive tantalum/silver mica and polyester versions, and the clicks and general noise floor has improved a lot.
FX placement also makes a big difference, less click and noise near the end of your FX chain, and way too much before a distortion !! ( of course)
The PN2 seems quite noisey for a 300 bucks "RARE EFFECT" ???
Comments ?.......
Marty.

gez

Quote from: MartyMartThe PN2 seems quite noisey for a 300 bucks "RARE EFFECT" ???
Comments ?.

Sell it, build something better with the money (and have plenty left over).

PS.  I don't doubt your word Paul, but why does a flat battery sometimes cause clicking?  Genuinely curious...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

MartyMart

Good idea Gez ! I can even charge more for "Improved noise floor Boutique caps & knobs"  version now !! tee hee Ebay here we come !.
Marty.

John Catto

The Boss Tremelo/Pan is a great pedal, probably one of the coolest trem pedals ever built but I've heard this complaint before, that some of them have clock bleed-through. Mine doesn't but I suspect that those that do did right out of the box.

MartyMart

Hi John, thats interesting, i did'nt know it was a "known" issue !
any tips on improving things, to stop the clock bleed through ? perhaps a couple of resistors somewhere ??
Thanks, Martin.

Ry

I have one of these that I got for $40 when they were on closeout.  It's one of my all time favorite pedals.  I find that it bleeds through just a little if I don't put it after another buffered bypass effect (like another boss pedal).  

I should probably change out the caps on mine.  It just started having the bleed through problem within the last year or so.

Ry

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: gez[but why does a flat battery sometimes cause clicking?  ...
I think that if the flat battery has a high internal resistance, then it can make a kind of a feedback effect that couples the LFO spike back into various parts of the circuit. Havign an OK electro across the power rai;s would help, but they might be absent (cheapness!).