A pedal for a Josh Homme like sound

Started by mugan, July 04, 2004, 02:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mugan

:?:

yea i like kyuss and qotsa so... any advice? I can't find a JH gear list on the net.
Give the mule what he wants

black mariah

About the closest you'll get is a Big Muff. He's used those in the past. A lot of his tone is from is amps. I know on the Kyuss stuff he was using Ampeg bass heads. Not sure what he uses with QotSA.

Arno van der Heijden

loki

yes Josh's main sound comes almost entirely from his ovation elec. guitar and ampeg bass head.... he doesn't have "fixed" effects in the sense that he often changes what he uses onstage... but anyway it's never more than 3 pedals...
you won't find more info about that, since Josh is very reserved about his tone and how he gets it... he doesn't want to reveal it to anyone

mugan

i knew he has a eh bass microsynth and ampeg bass speakers, didn't know about the head.

Arno van der Heijden

With QOTSA, he uses a H&K Rotosphere and I believe he also uses a Boss OD-x(?)....

Mike Burgundy

this might be a useless thread. Yes he uses those pedals, but he lately(last couple of years) also heavily relies on the sound guy to get the sound he wants.
This might not be completely accurate, but I reckon his sound is more available than you think. Just get a very bad attitude, a run-o-the-mill guitar and ditto effects and amps, and  a very good engineer/producer.

You could ofcourse also try to do your own thing.

They did theirs, now...

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: Mike BurgundyJust get a very bad attitude, a run-o-the-mill guitar and ditto effects and amps, and  a very good engineer/producer.

Hmm... I dunno....

Homme has a very specific guitar sound, which I always contributed to the bass amp he uses. I don't if you could come close with a 'standard' guitar amp.
I don't know if his live setup sounds the same, but if it does, I think it has nothing to do with his producer.

Oh, and use very heavy strings, like 0.012 or something like that. And for the Kyuss sound, only play with the neck pickup (humbucker).

smashinator

But then, if you like Kyuss, you'd have been using the neck pickup all the time anyway.  I do.  Actually, I don't think my bridge pickup even works anymore (I believe there's a loose wire).  I'd fix it, but I don't use it anyway.  :twisted:
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

axr

also his tunning it's another variable.

i'll recommend a 4ms duo distorter

nooneknows

Hi,
I'd recommend a .012 strings gauge,  a quite hot neck humbucker, tune at least 2 whole step down  and, to get a bit closer to that sound, a boost  in front of a normal channel of a plexi-style amp (the normal channel has a broader band on the bass side).
Never use ts-like od and heavy distorsion.
bye

Prive

He used a SD1 Boss always "on" in the QOTSA Argentinian shows, of course, Ampegs everywhere.

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

mugan

thanks, hope those who have answered like kyuss and qotsa too !

OT: :?:

Prive

I play guitar, stick and voices in the first tribute to Kyuss record.
My band is Cygnus, track 1 , Thumb.

www.diasdegaragerecords.com.ar

I hope you like it.

Saludos, Marcelo.

Gringo

Buenisimo!!  :D

Que usaste para grabar, che?

What gear did you use at the studio?
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Prive

Hola Pablo!!!!!!

Viste buenisimo, nos pusieron primeros jajajaja.

I use two guitars, a cheap Ibanez and my baby Aria FA80 hollowbody.
Marshall 1959 MK-II superlead (added master volume and some touch here and there in the preamp)
Fuzzes, lots, face, factoty for the oscilations, dod250 and ADA MP1.
There is 3 different guitar tones playing the same thing in the stereo field, two ADA's one each side and the main fuzz tone to 75% right.
Marshall vintage 1960 cab, 2 SM57 in front.
NO REVERB!!!!!!! delays welcome 8)
The stick was recorded with 2 Sansamps GT2 for Bass and Classic for Melody.
Phase 90 everywhere, Boss DD2 for long delays and MXR delay for short time delay.

It sounds like lots of things for just one song but you have to listen to understand.

I like the JH tone but from him, my tone is more fuzz, not so amp.

Saludos, Marcelo.

mugan

LP Hovercraft

There's a Stoner rock group her in town that seeem to nail that sound pretty well.  He uses a RAT into a cranked Marshall Plexi running out to a Power Brake running out to an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm 4x12 (mismatched ohmages!).  Not exactly the best thing for the cabs, but it has some serious bludgeoning tone!