Sound Man Shant [ot?]

Started by petemoore, July 05, 2004, 09:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcobretti

The scenario the initial post describes is one of the biggest catch-22s in music.  The problem with most sound men is that maybe they know how to make a metal band sound good, but what if you play blues?  There was a club my band played at years ago called the Nite Owl that had been a BYOB metal club for years.  When the punk explosion of the early 90s kicked off it became a nice venue for us and all the other bands in NW Florida.  I saw Soundgarden and Primus there before they blew up.  The sound guy made everything sound like Metallica.  Scooped guitar mids, clicky bass drum, absolutely blasting volume.  It sounded great if you like that kind of sound.  

I had a very similar experience in the studio.  It was a small one man operation, and the guy had turned out some pretty good stuff that we had heard.  The drummer had been running his drums very highly pitched with an unmuffled bass drum, kinda doing the bonham thing.  The studio guy freaked out and made it clear that the only way he knew to record a drum kit was if the heads were all sloppy loose.  We were screwing up his formula by doing something non-standard,  He threw a fit until we retuned the drums.  We finished that project and never went back.  Now I do the home studio thing.

Paul Marossy

I like to have my amp at a right angle from where I stand. I point it towards the other musicians so that they can hear me better and so that I don't get blasted with shrieking treble from being too close to the amp. My biggest frustration with sound systems in general is that I usually can't hear everyone in my monitor, or some things are way too loud and I can't hear what I need to/want to hear.

RDV

When I first heard Metallica I said, "what's that clicking sound?".

HAH!

RDV

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: RDVWhen I first heard Metallica I said, "what's that clicking sound?".
RDV

I guess you haven't heard the last Metallica album then? It features the most awful drumsounds ever recorded. Sounds more like frying pans to me...

Paul Marossy

I read a little about how Metallica's last album was recorded in Guitar Player, I think. No wonder it sounds like crap!

RDV

I first heard Meatallica around the time of Master Of Puppets or whatever. Yes I was a bumpkin. I liked it and all, I just didn't know what that clicking sound was. My buddies told me it was the bass drum. I really like &JFA. It rocks. They've seen better days.

RDV

Somicide

Hah, the clicking, agreed.  I never thought about it, i thought it was an after effect...  But definately better days.  Peace n Love,

Jeff
Peace 'n Love

petemoore

I had a couple 'Tallikica CD's, one was "Kill 'em All', not exactly a listener friendly mix, very dry and thin IMO.
 They had it going on for a while there, I think the "MOP" has had his string pulled a few too many times though.
 I think it was Mustaine...not those other guys...who had the 'real' Genius anyway, just a bit over the top for them to be able to stand.
 That singer guy, with that pronunciation problem, putting achgkkkk at the end of EVERY line of the lyrics...just plain overkill sillyness... :shock: like he's getting electrocuted every time the delay at the end of the line would normally be heard.
 I have this little skit I wrote, it's a 'normal' human inviting James for a night out...
 Q. 'Hey James, what are you up to tonight?"
 A. ."Hey, hey heyAAUCKKGHHH, I was thinkingauchhkkkzkk, well maybe just going to the BarAUCHKKCHZCH".
 Q. "What's wrong with you're voice, it sounds like you got posessed there for a second or two".
 A. "I, I, Iauchckk, didn't notice, maybe you're just, just, jaustchhkksnckzz, Imaginingckkkazkk, thaghtghtghtght".
 Q. "Ok James, I[ckk] for one believe in you're pain[ckk]", "Can it really be Tha[ghc]t Bad[dckkk]?"
 A. "Well, I triedckk to stopff it, but now everythingouchkkkzzkk comes out thisskkcch wayyyyychchchchchchch".
Convention creates following, following creates convention.