OT - Onboard opamp preamp Q

Started by T-Man, July 06, 2004, 04:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Man

I'm planning on putting an opamp based preamp in my bass and have a question.  

I will be buffering each pickup individualy, with a unity gain opamp, each of these will be followed by a volume pot connected to ground, with the wipers to the output.

Should i put a third opamp between the volume controls and the output? the pots would load the signal, no?

i should know this... i am an EE student...  :oops:

thanks.

Tristan

p.s. this is my new favorite forum.
peace

casey

im going to send you a private message here in a second,
with a nice preamp for your bass....

it's coming to ya in about 10 minutes...
Casey Campbell

casey

you've got mail....check your pm.
Casey Campbell

casey

i sent you a 2nd installment......

let me know if you got the 1st email....it was pretty big...
Casey Campbell

ejbasses

Hi!

Nice to see a fellow bassist around here.

I put an on board pre in my bass too. Nothing fancy its just a single stage class A jfet circuit with a switchable lopass filter and series/parallel switching on the pickups.

Hey casey can you send me that preamp schematic too??

thanks
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them

casey

Quote from: ejbassesHi!

Nice to see a fellow bassist around here.

I put an on board pre in my bass too. Nothing fancy its just a single stage class A jfet circuit with a switchable lopass filter and series/parallel switching on the pickups.

Hey casey can you send me that preamp schematic too??

thanks

yeah, ill pm you for your email address.....
Casey Campbell

T-Man

Casey, thank you for the schematics, they are interesting, however they look like preamps intended for AMP use... I am making an onboard preamp.

In addition, I have more or less decided how I am going to do this and would like an answer to my question... i am inquisitive and stubborn. :wink:

thx
T-Man
peace

casey

the 3rd one i sent to you (2nd email) should do the trick.....

sorry i couldnt be of any help....maybe you can use them later.
Casey Campbell

Tim Escobedo

A summing node into a op amp would probably be the legit way of mixing the two pickups (if that's what you're asking). However, of both pickups are indeed buffered with same output levels and impedances, you could probably get away with a simple passive summing circuit.

T-Man

tim, that's the kind of answer i was looking for.  thank you.

i think i will put in a third opamp... can't hurt, right?

thanks all
peace

lovekraft0

Have you seen Albert Kreuzer's onboard bass preamp? If you're not comfortable with JFETs, it should be easy enough to do with opamps.

T-Man

thanks lovekraft, i think i am going to do what i planned, but maybe i will try that in my other bass...
peace

cd

Quote from: T-ManShould i put a third opamp between the volume controls and the output? the pots would load the signal, no?

Technically yes, but if the rest of your circuit is designed properly, it won't make any sonic difference (one that you can hear).  Unless you want to add gain with the third op-amp stage, I wouldn't bother.