Tony Iommi Black Sabbath Paranoid Distortion Pedal

Started by Joe Hart, July 07, 2004, 02:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

Does anyone know what this is? Or what it may be similar to? I know that it just came out and the schematic probably isn't public (yet), but it could be a cool little build. Thanks.
-Joe Hart

Fret Wire

Who makes it? Way back he used a Rangemaster, more recently he's used a TS-9.

http://www.iommi.com/home_new.htm
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

bwanasonic

Quote from: Fret WireWay back he used a Rangemaster

More specifically, a Rangemaster into a cranked Laney Tube amp.

Kerry M

Joe Hart

It's made by Godlyke, and I just heard about it, but it's supposed to nail his early tone.
-Joe Hart

J Gagan

they say he used a stock rangemaster at first but quickly had it modded to get more gain and be more of a full range boost. to my ears, the sound on Paranoid sounds like the latter.

Fret Wire

I thought Godlyke was just a distributer. I know the websites say he used just a Rangemaster, but it sounds like he used a fuzz with the RM.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

J Gagan

A hot rangemaster with a  larger input cap will get pretty fuzzy. the rest of what you are hearing is the amp sizzle IMO

RedHouse

Get the September issue of "Guitar World" it has an article where Tony Iommi talks about his early sound.

I always knew he used an SG (SG players notice these things) but I was surprised to hear him say it was a P-90 equipped SG, there is even a picture of it in the fold-out in the magazine.

I've had best results getting early Sabbath tone from "series" switching the 2 humbuckers in an SG (neck and bridge in series with each other), but that is far removed from a P-90 sound, hmmm....

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
   Yeah, plug a P-90 SG Special into a Rangemaster into a Lany 100-watt stack and you've got it!!
Brian.

Fret Wire

Well, the P-90's would give a more biting sound than the HB's.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl

petemoore

J.T. plays "War Pigs".
 On my setup...the distortion caused by a DS-1. This had a JRC4558, and different diodes, hand tuned voicing, driven by a Fetzer Valve.
 I think it sounded perfectly Pig like, as did others.
 It was nice to be able to sit back and listen to my rig.
 I've never heard Tony's rig close up, but I am a big Warpig fan [my favorite poem of the 21rst century], and discerning tonemeister.
 It sounded rediculously close, absolutely excellent.
 I think a [already sorta gainey] tube amp and 4x12's is min. requirement for this type tone, what amp and speakers making difference.
 Q What amp is that?
 A That;s a Marshall 50w MkII Master Lead Plexi Vintage-Reissue, with the spike in the forehead [the amp is shipped with and known for] revoiced out of the Channel 1'. "It used to bark and bite nastily, but now it just growls when I hit it hard".
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AL

Can't forget the fingers - or in this case the lack of fingers. As minimal as that sounds it has to effect his sound somewhat.   :?

AL

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Iommi  uses very thin strings [.008 up to something in the .030's for a low E.]  His onstage sound for the older Sabbath gigs was A LOT thinner then what you heard  when mixed through the house P.A. system.
His Rangemaster helped to fatten up the tone in general and add a little kick to the front end of his Laney amps but most of the distortion was still from the amp itself.
Brian.

george

Quote from: ALCan't forget the fingers - or in this case the lack of fingers. As minimal as that sounds it has to effect his sound somewhat.   :?

AL

it sure does .... he can't use strings heavier than what Brian mentioned.

I can't be sure, but I think even Tony wouldn't recommend that people get the tips of their fingers sliced off and replaced with plastic thimbles as a way of getting his sound ...  :wink:

I think the thin strings, rangemaster and cranked Laney and other approaches mentioned in this thread will do the job nicely ... no finger prostheses necessary