electrolictic Capacitor

Started by mr. roboto, July 08, 2004, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. roboto

What about if a put a common capacitor instead a electrolitic capacitor, using the same mf, ( 0.1mf ).  Im doing a Delay attack stombboxe and all the rest of the components are the required except this one.             Extra, what sound should i expect back from a delay attack pedal, it is a nice sound?. or im i wasting my time?   i'll apreassure your answer and comments.     8)
Im Jaime and my interests are get knowledge to be applied in electronic and music experiments.

Dave Z

*if* the cap is in the signal path the electro will have some effect (OK any cap will) and a film cap will give you more fidelity (less distortion). Note .1 films can be pretty large, though manageable if space is not critical...I just got some 1 mF films though and they are monsters...

brett

Hi.  I like replacing electrolytics with film wherever possible (ie up to 1uF).  Electros have a limited life (typically 5 to 50 years) because they dry out, leak, etc.  
The answer to large value films is to use MKT caps.  (Actually, I never  use greencaps for any size cap.)  Even a 1uF MKT is only about 1/4" x 1/4".  The extra cost (5c each) isn't likely to be an issue, they're clearly labelled, have consistent lead spacing, .... :D

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Fret Wire

I'm with Brett, I use metal film wherever possible, and even tantalum's (over 1uf) over electro's. Just a preference. I like the Panasonic ECQ-V metal film's. Real small, and good quality. An ECQ-V .1uf is smaller than a .01 greenie. The MKT's are nice too. Just a preference again.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)