Hendrix Fuzz Face Mod at GEOFEX

Started by johnabraham, July 08, 2004, 08:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnabraham

Does anyone know where this schematic originated, the "Roger Mayer Mods" schem at this site???  I have tried to speak with this guy before on WHERE he got this and he would not be clear about it, or give a solid answer.

Unless this came from Roger himself it is highly refutable. Anyone that knows about this one please speak up. Thanks, John.

Fret Wire

Are you refering to the "Technology of the Fuzz Face" article, where a schematic with the "Roder Mayer" or "Jimi Hendrix mods" is posted right in the article? In the article, RG also links to another RM Classic Fuzz schematic (you have to right-click and save). Then, there is another on Fuzz Central. All three are different.

Is there any reason you ask? Do you have knowledge of which one is on-spec? First of all, those mods in the article address his germanium fuzz mods. He later modded the Si fuzz, eventually into the Axis model.

QuoteUnless this came from Roger himself it is highly refutable. Anyone that knows about this one please speak up. Thanks, John.

The one right in the GEO article is correct, I believe. You could say I got that from Roger, since I have one of his original Classic Fuzz pedals, back when he was  handmaking them. Not the black-bottom model, but the unfinished silver bottom, with the Guitar Galaxy logo sticker (NYC, one of his original distributors).

The pedal itself has the real thin fragile wiring that looks like about 28ga.. Also has straight sided TO-1 Abel AC128's.
As far as the specs, mine matches GEO's with minor discrepencies (for biasing). Pots are Omeg (UK), and thus are 2k2 and 470K.
Mayer may have changed the pedal over the years. The trannies in mine are a little weak now. It was my first pedal, and is the best store bought fuzz I've ever heard.

I'm wondering the opposite of you, where did the other schematics come from? A couple have some pretty unsuual values. Did they come from later model pedals? I'm sure as production went up, and decent transistors went down, he may have had to change some values, but who knows?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)