OT removing Lexan adhesive

Started by Joe Davisson, July 09, 2004, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Davisson

I'm trying to clean up an old chassis, which had a Lexan label on it. Acetone and Krud Kutter won't even take it off. Any ideas? TIA-

-Joe

Ed G.

If it's kind of a gummy label, some wd-40 or pam cooking spray might do the trick with a razor blade. I don't think the stuff like nail polish remover is effective on that rubbery stuff.
Last winter I cut down a pine tree and it was FULL of sap. I had sticky sap all over my hands. My mom just happened to be at the house and she told me about the pam. Worked like a charm.

RDV

Have you tried "Goop Off" that they sell at The Home Depot?

RDV

Joe Davisson

I'll try those ideas, thanks!

-Joe

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

"Some materials dissolve Lexansuch as methylene chloride,ethylene chloride and tetrachloroethane. The use of thesematerials are generally not applied to Lexanand basicallywhen applied in very light applications will evaporate easilyand have no basic effect on the Lexanitself.However, other materials such as acetone, ketones, esters,carbon tetracholride and aromatic hydrocarbons will have adeleterious effect on Lexancausing it to either crystallize orcraze, with carbon tetrachloride being the most damaging"
...that's from a manual telling people what NOT to do to their lexan faceplates, so maybe ther eis some inspiration there. Of course, the goop under the lexan might be something else entirely :x

Joe Davisson

That's what I meant, the adhesive used to hold on the lexan label. I took the labels off already. Good to know the other info, I think lexan makes a nice strong coverplate for plastic boxes.

-Joe

Rick

I bought some sticky mousetraps (the kind the varmint walks on and gets stuck) for just the sticky glue. It was for "WOT" catching apple maggot flies - I put it on some fake red plastic apples and hung it on my apple tree. It does stick to the flies well and to your fingers extremely well. Well I could not get this stuff off with Goof Off or anything else I tried. Then I read the instructions for removal. It was mineral or vegetable oil. I had only veg but it was the only thing that got that crap off my fingers. Really sticky stuff !

Mark F

I've had great success with MINERAL SPIRITS. It removes anything sticky or gooey & doesn't harm the finish like GOOF-OFF & other solvents. Good Luck

Nasse

:? These can be hard to remove sometimes...

Yes I have heard vegetable oil, butter or some other grease you find in your refridgerator/icebox or what they call it, it might work well sometimes

Butter is great if you have sap or some bitumous stuff in your hands

Don´t know for sure but I think adding some heat (not too much) might help - or make it worse. I think I once used almost hot water to help the mechanical process...
  • SUPPORTER