Which enclosure for Cry Baby guts?

Started by Rich G., July 09, 2004, 11:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich G.

I'm in the process of modifying my 535Q Wah to operate via a voltage controlled resistance instead of a pot.  I'd like to transfer the guts of the wah to an enclosure.  If possible, I'd like to keep the input & output jacks intact therefore the enclosure must be ~ 3.125" wide on the inside.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Rich G.

petemoore

Q & D cardboard on metal
 Take a sheet of metal off a VCR or whatever, calculate/cut and bend a top and two sides from it, then bend the flat peice to be the top and two sides or in a sharp cornered U shape.
 In the case of a 535 with jacks in PC board, I'd create the last two sides from cereal box material, but have 'insert' pieces also cut to fit tight on the insides of the metal piece,, then trim the excess of the cardboard only pieces installed and using the metal piece as an edge guide.
 Basically just layer cereal box cardboard with Elmers, around the U [and slightly inside the open corners of the metal if you like]  shapes four sides, until it's very strong, and before you get too thick for the jack nuts to thread.
 Glue applied and dried where the jack holes need drilled may prevent burring ot the cardboard, trim the rest with wire cutters.
 Or
 Wood box
 Or
 Metal box with one bolt on side...lotsa Mfg-ing there tho
 without adding the side later [solid box] you'll have to unsolder at least one of the Jacks in PC to install the board.
 Or...run offboard wires to where the jacks were in the PCB, and run them to the [new?] jacks in the new box.
 I've never worked the inputs and outputs on a 535, but my V847's all had non-normal insulated jacks, took me years to figure that bit out, after they got quadruple smashed in a drunk hazed double stomping motion...took out 2 cables and the V847's jacks with two steps.
 Moral: Always [whenever possilbe] use 90 degree angle plugs for inserting into wah cases.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.