Ruby preamp output

Started by Kaiowas, July 10, 2004, 04:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiowas

Hi everyone!

I built the Ruby FET preamp from runoffgroove.com, is pretty cool, in my amp (marshall G MK10II) sounds beautiful, but if i connect the ruby output to the sound crad input (Audigy 2 Platinum) the output starts to crack if i play a little hard. This is regardless of the volume pot, no matter how it is set, it does the crackle thing.

So i decided to measure the input and output voltages with a sinewave.
Iset the voltage of the input around 0.100V~, and the output was about 3.43V~. If i'm not wrong a line input shloud as high as 1.2V, so i made a voltage divider in the output, but it lost all the tone!!!, it didn't soun "pretty" anymore.

What can i do to set the output to line level, but without losing tone in the process?

Thanks in advance!
"De quién era la piragua?!"

Kaiowas

javacody

Sorry, this might have something to do with the impedance the preamp is seeing.

Kaiowas

So i'll start to play with the Zinput resistor.
At least now i know it has something to do with the FET and not with the 386.

Thanks for the advice!

Kaiowas

B Tremblay

Just to clarify, are you using the entire Ruby amp circuit as a pre-amp?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Kaiowas

Well...yes.

I'm using the 2 stages, the FET and the 386 (LM386N-1, not as good as the one proposed in the page but...) stages.

Why? that's a bad thing to do? shloud i leave just one stage?

Thanks

Kaiowas

B Tremblay

Well, the most likely reason that you're having problems is due to an impedance mismatch (as javacody guessed).  Ruby is an amp, meant to be used with a speaker or headphones.  It is not intended for use as a pre-amp or stompbox.

Since the 386 expects to see a low impedance (between 4 and 16 ohms), so expecting it to drive a different load will present some problems.

For a pre-amp, I suggest you try the Fetzer Valve, or if you want more options, try one of the amp emulators.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Kaiowas

thanks a lot btremblay!

I built the fatzer valve, i'm still tweaking it to obtain a fatter response!!

maybe fou could help me achieving that.

Thanks!

Kaiowas

stm

You can still load the output of the Ruby with an 3.9 to 15 ohms carbon resistor (2 watts power rating to be safe) as a load, and then take the output of the Ruby to your soundcard input.  If output is still too hot you can place a voltage divider at the output made of relatively low valued resistors, like 1k and 220 ohms, to cut signal level down to about 1/5 th.