TS-808 is alive!!! Sort of...

Started by Danny G, July 10, 2004, 12:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

This is getting old.  I replaced the 47uf and 10uf Electros (both had originally been installed backwards).  Same too-high voltages for the IC pins.  Voltage divider not dividing crap.  Of course, I installed the 10uf backwards AGAIN, but soon corrected it.  Not sure how much juice is needed to blow this one.  Also, I finally installed 0.22 tantalum caps as well--I was using NP film caps, don't know if that was causing any polarity issues--still no sound.

I don't know what to do anymore.  Thinking about just canning the whole project and working on something else.  Use this one for parts.

What the hell is wrong with it?!?

Fret Wire

Tantalum caps do have polarity also. Two ways to tell their polarity. Right on the cap, it will have a "+" sign on the positive side. The neg lead is shorter, like on electro's or LED's. Non-polarized film caps will cause no issues. As far as scraping it, you could always order the PCB board from GGG. Know anyone around you that can make boards? You can use the GGG pcb layout.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

RDV

It's 110% certain that you have a wiring error around the voltage divider. If you're tired of fooling with it, just take a break, have a look at it every now and then, and eventually it will occur to you what has gone wrong.

The moment of epiphany is always very cool.

RDV

Danny G

I just hope I get to that moment, and don't wind up back here with mondo problems with my next build.

I'm 1 for 3 on functional builds.  Beginner's luck on my Big Muff, I guess.

I got a Phase 45 I need some parts for, and have a BSIAB II that I was waiting to finish the TS-808 before starting.  PRAY FOR ME!!!!  If my next project doesn't work, I don't think I'll build any more...  Too ^%$& frustrating.

RDV

For some perspective:

I spent 2 weeks+ staring at the layout and completed PCB of my own HMP before someone else finally pointed out what I couldn't see(layout mistake).

I just spent a month(on & off) trying to fix my DIY Distortion+ that had reverse voltage fed to it(fried one of the Ge diodes, hard to detect).

Back when I 1st built a Blackfire, it took about a month to de-bug.

On the other hand, I've built dozen's of circuits that fired right up. It's like life itself. Some you're gonna win, some you're gonna lose.

RDV