Installing a tube in a non tube pedal

Started by Mike Nichting, July 11, 2004, 12:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strungout

Well, if I was going to just experiment/kill some time, I'd go with a fuzz face or an electra circuit, something simple. I'd think that would give me a good idea of the work/frustration ratio, but then again, I gotta go eat :P

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Paul Marossy

I seem to remember someone around claiming that there is a tube version of the Ibanez Tube Screamer that someone came up with, but I have yet to see it...
Your idea isn't a bad one, it's just not practical to try to convert an existing SS circuit into a tube one. At least that's what I thought you meant...
But, if you designed it from the ground up, so to speak, you could convert anything that uses transistors, MOSFETS, FETs or opamps into a tube circuit. Some circuits would be difficult to convert, but it's not impossible, even if it may be impractical...  8)

keko

Quote from: puretubehttp://www.geofex.com/FX_images/realtube.jpg

:P

...but I guess that answers his first question. That green box is indeed a Tube Screamer!
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

Paul Marossy

Wouldn't that be a screaming Tube Screamer?!?  :lol:

puretube

hasn`t the "tube screamer" been designed to imitate, emulate, model the sound of an overdriven tube-amp?

puretube

QuoteYour idea isn't a bad one, it's just not practical to try to convert an existing SS circuit into a tube one

many, if not most SS circuits are convertions of originally tube ones...

Lonestarjohnny

When I was growing up in the 50's the Transistor was advertised as the device that would replace tube tecnology, it was supposed to emulate the sound of tube's, I have book's from the 50's that I can scan and show you the add's,
well they almost have replaced tube's as far as i'm concerned, all the great old tube builder's are mostly dead and gone and tube designing went with them, i hate putting today's tube's in anybody's amp, that's what i think about them, I even gave Svetlana a sh*t load of old el34's to look at that Paul Rivera had traded me, they were some single's i could'nt match up and I think they built a decent tube, but not a great 1,
The Jfet  has certianly caught my attention though, and transister's have thier sound's which some are useful, I  know a lot of guy's that buy Digital rig's and some love them, and some are for sale.
JD

Paul Marossy

"many, if not most SS circuits are convertions of originally tube ones..."

This is true. After all, all transistors are derived from tubes as well as the opamps that we know today. While I'm at it, diodes started out as tubes as well.