A few cows for lunch!

Started by StephenGiles, July 11, 2004, 03:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Just got back from a huge Argentine asado as you can see!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

RDV

Yes I eat cow, I am not proud.

YUM

RDV

Lonestarjohnny

Moooo ! Get along lil Doggy, Yum Yum, Gimme Sum ! That looked like a good place to be Stephen
JD

StephenGiles

Yes, it was in a place called Weybridge, a few miles west of London, England. There were roughly 700 people there, organised by the Anglo Argentine Society.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

zener

It's really hard to be a vegetarian, you know :| I want to, but it seems that I can't. :?  

How I wish there would be a time when there's a way to kill animals for food in one second or two instead of the usual agonizing slaughtering :( .

BTW, are there any festivities happening on that time?
Oh yeah!

Ge_Whiz

Hi Stephen - the location for that event, according to my wife, was my son's school - St George's College, yeh? Looks like one heck of a barbecue!

R.G.

QuoteHow I wish there would be a time when there's a way to kill animals for food in one second or two instead of the usual agonizing slaughtering
Just as a note of accuracy, it is entirely possible to kill animals for food without any significant period of pain. Many cows are slaughtered by a device that shoots a large bolt into the brain. The brain function - and ability to feel pain - is destroyed before there's much chance to react. It's much less than a second or two.

Animals in agony are not good to have anywhere, especially a slaughterhouse. Guys who do not work the bolt gun efficiently and well, who injure the animals instead of quick, clean kills, don't last long.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

zener

Quote from: R.G.
QuoteHow I wish there would be a time when there's a way to kill animals for food in one second or two instead of the usual agonizing slaughtering
Just as a note of accuracy, it is entirely possible to kill animals for food without any significant period of pain. Many cows are slaughtered by a device that shoots a large bolt into the brain. The brain function - and ability to feel pain - is destroyed before there's much chance to react. It's much less than a second or two.

Animals in agony are not good to have anywhere, especially a slaughterhouse. Guys who do not work the bolt gun efficiently and well, who injure the animals instead of quick, clean kills, don't last long

Hmmm... what is that called? I would like to know more about that.

There are times I suddenly lose appetite while in the middle of a beef or pork meal whenever I think the pain, the cries and the struggle the animal went through just to get into my plate.

Obviously, that stuff would make it easier not only for animals to die but also for people tasked to kill the animal for food. Just a trigger or a button. No pain, no power-pounding of whatever wedge, no howling/crying, no struggle, no sweat. I hope it will be standardized all over the world.

With that, I would want a huge burger with 2 well-done grilled beef patties topped with lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup etc.  Oh and a huge mug of rootbeer :wink: I know that the cow didn't have to endure any pain to get into my burger. Thanks for your life cow. Moooo!
Oh yeah!

Ge_Whiz

If a pig gets stressed just before slaughter - including responding to the distress of another pig - the adrenalin released into the circulation taints the flavour of the meat. Pork producers know that it is essential to render the animal dead as quickly, cleanly and humanely as possible, and do so. Pigs certainly do not suffer in modern abbatoirs.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: RDVYes I eat cow, I am not proud.

YUM

RDV

Me too!!! And I like Nirvana too!!!

RDV

I figured someone would get that.

RDV

Leandro

I toyed with the idea of abandoning meat, sometimes being overwhelmed by the thought of the agony animals go through.  I just like the stuff too damn much...   :(

Being from Argentina, "land of the meat, home of the cow," doesn't make it easy, either.  Nowhere in the world have I tasted better cow meat (our neighboring Chile outdoes us in pork and fish).

Speaking of pork and animal suffering...  There's a Canadian hardcore band called Propagandhi.  Listen to the intro to their song "Purina Hall of Fame" from their album "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes".  It sends a chill through my spine everytime I hear it...

Someone asked about the festivity: it was probably in commemoration of Argentina's Independence Day (July 9th, 1816).

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The most "painless" way is probably by running an IV line in, using red wine, and marinating the animal from the inside. I'm virtually vegatarian (meat once a week or so) for financial reasons, as well as health. Virtually all readily available meat is full of saturated fat, artificial hormones, antibiotics etc. Nothing like what your body evolved to suit.
And don't kid yourself that the meat trade is painless. Check out "Diet for a New America" by Baskins. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0915811812/102-7284001-0242544?v=glance

Oh, and don't forget www.milksucks.com  :shock:  :x  :cry:

nirvanas silence

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)The most "painless" way is probably by running an IV line in, using red wine, and marinating the animal from the inside. I'm virtually vegatarian (meat once a week or so) for financial reasons, as well as health. Virtually all readily available meat is full of saturated fat, artificial hormones, antibiotics etc. Nothing like what your body evolved to suit.
And don't kid yourself that the meat trade is painless. Check out "Diet for a New America" by Baskins. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0915811812/102-7284001-0242544?v=glance

Oh, and don't forget www.milksucks.com  :shock:  :x  :cry:
You aren't virtually a vegetarian if you eat meat once a week.  I am vegetarian, no meat all throughout the week.  :)

RDV

brett

QuoteVirtually all readily available meat is full of saturated fat, artificial hormones, antibiotics etc. Nothing like what your body evolved to suit.
Paul, here in Australia we do regular testing of cows, pigs, chooks, etc for residues of unwanted chemicals.  At uni in the early 1980s I had heard many horror stories of "nasties" in food.  But here's some facts (for Australia); less than 1% of pork products contain antibiotic residues, less that 0.2% of meat products contain pesticide residues, and most of those are worming chemicals, about 0.1% of grain samples contained pesticide residues, sheep pigs and poultry are FREE (as far as samples can find) of growth promotants, while other meat products have less than 0.1% with residues (source:Sustainable Agriculture, SCARM report 70).  So that lean, pasture-fed steak, together with a fresh green salad makes a very healthy meal.

What IS obviously wrong with agriculture (in Oz, at least) is that we are cutting down trees, polluting rivers, eroding soil and promoting salinity.  The basis of our production system is very sick.  I hope that Peter Garret (yep, ex Midnight Oils front man, now politician) can make a difference.

Sorry to preach so much.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

clayton

What makes anyone think that the vegetables you buy at the store are healthy.They are full of pestecides and chemical fertilizers.They have no taste and  a lack of color  because much of the nutrients in the soil where the vegetables are grown is depleted and are pumped up with chemical fertalizers.You should see the difference between the carots I grow in my garden and store bought ones.The ones from the store barely look orange compared to the homegrown.The flavor isnt even comparable since chemicals dont taste very good.With that being said there is nothing tastier than dead cow.I try get localy raised grass feed beef.If beef is grass fed and not comercialy marketed it doesnt have to be USDA approved therefore no antibiotics steriods and hormones.that is what is unhealthy the additives not the meat.Beef is low in fat compared to the amount of protien in it.Saturated fat is not that unhealthy if from the right source in moderation.Its the saturated fat in prepared foods that will kill you.If your food label has partialy hydroganted oil in it through it out it will kill you.Butter is 10 times more healthy than margerine wich is nothing but hydroganted oil.People dont buy into this no fat junk and chemical sweetners as health food it will kill you.Eat real food do real work to burn it off and you will probaly live along time.I fear that people of my generation and younger (i'm 27) are not going to have nearly a long of life span as our bacon and eggs eaten' grandparents we will all die from cancer caused by a lifelong consumption of processed food.Sorry to ramble and I apologize for my grammar i am an uneducated hillbilly that cant spell good.

brett

QuoteI fear that people of my generation and younger (i'm 27) are not going to have nearly a long of life span as our bacon and eggs eaten' grandparents
The old "fear of dying".  Fere's some selected facts.  The first scientific study of longevity was done in Sweden in the 1750s, and found that on average, men and women lived to about age 35.  So much for healthy grangparents!!  Even in the last 20 years, the average lifespan has increased (by about 4 years here in Australia, I think, which is amazing).  If you want to shorten your lifespand drink water from the creek, raise your own animals, don't eat much meat, store the meat poorly, don't have immunisations, smoke... In other words, just go live in a typical poor African country.  It's all well-known stuff.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm diabetic and would have died at age 11  without modern medicine.  (Then died again at age 17 in a motorcycle accident...)
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

swt

woww 700 in an asado...i couldn't imagine that!!. i've being a vegetarian here in argentina for 18 years now, and even my friends still with joke every asado i go...i guess i couldn't stand that abuse :lol:  :wink: . Thanks for sharing our culture Stephen!!
Ps: i prefer a good dulce de leche over anything in the world....

brett

Quotedulce de leche
What is that? Milk lollies?  Like Russian caramel?  Got a recipe?
Brett Robinson