A few cows for lunch!

Started by StephenGiles, July 11, 2004, 03:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ge_Whiz

Aah for the good old days of my youth, when a proper balanced meal was a meat pie that came in a flat tin with "Fray Bentos" printed on the top - served with Heinz Baked Beans and 'Dine' instant mashed potato.  :lol:

zener

Want more PROTEIN to build up muscles up there in your arms, chest and abs? Eat tons of beef or pork? No. Have a look and open your minds:

http://www.manataka.org/page160.html

I would love to take a bite, yum yum.

There are more links, but I think that's enough.
Oh yeah!

gez

For any of you thinking of turning vegetarian, or especially vegan, PLEASE do your homework beforehand!  Whether you like it or not we have evolved to derive some nutrients from animal sources and if you wish to replace these with a vegetarian equivalent you’re going to have problems.  It is possible, but it requires work and you’ll most likely have to take supplements.  Either way, you need to do some reading.

I was a vegetarian for many years and I switched from eating a reasonably balanced diet to just eating vegetarian junk food.  I developed a string of health problems during this time, culminating in my developing a condition which has left my health, so it seems, permanently f*cked.  I am convinced that had I eaten sensibly during this time (sensible vegetarian meals even), I wouldn’t be in the state I am in now.

Although you can have a really healthy diet if you become a vegetarian, it requires effort so many just end up eating convenience food.  Much of it is even more nutritionally devoid than normal processed food.  I can’t think of one vegetarian I’ve ever known who has, what I now consider, a healthy diet, or who takes the necessary supplements needed to maintain good health (one a day vitamin/mineral pills don‘t cut it!).  

I now have an excellent diet (fresh organic veg, fish and humanely slaughtered free range/organic meat) and my health has improved considerably, but be warned!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

clayton

So much for healthy grangparents!! Even in the last 20 years, the average lifespan has increased (by about 4 years here in Australia, I think, which is amazing[/quote] my great grand parents all lived to be in their 90s and 100s.They raised nearly all of there own food.My grandparents lived to be in there 80s.My dad lived to be 60.Any change in life span is due to modern medicine and definetly not healthier eating.At least that is the case with what theyre feeding people in the US.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

When I was trying to work out what might realistically be expected to be an optimal diet, I looked at a lot of medical research... I could have saved myself the bother though, because this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684863375/102-7284001-0242544?v=glance
covers it all.  It isn't doctrinaire or extremist, just a synthesis of what research has been done.
Incidentally, "average life expectancy" isn't a very useful marker. Average lifespan has been rising because fewer babies & children die today due to control of infection. If you look at "life expectancy for someone aged 30 today" you will see the gains havn't been too spectacular.

bwanasonic

Quote from: claytonEat real food, and do real work to burn it off

But I saw on TV, they have these protein bars that taste just like candy, and this belt that zaps your abs, and these pills that keep you skinny, and...

:twisted:

Kerry M

clayton

dont forget the pills that make your penis enourmus .Not that i need them :lol:

clayton

paul you are exactly right infant mortality rate Has a bigger imapct on the average life span than how long people live

clayton

paul you are exactly right infant mortality rate Has a bigger imapct on the average life span than how long people live

StephenGiles

Ge_Whiz - yes the event was at St George's School. and what a beautiful school it seems to be. Your son is very lucky!
Stephen

SWT - I love to share your culture. I look forward to our next visit in 2005.
Stephen[/b]
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Here are a few jars:

and here was my desert!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jsleep

For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

StephenGiles

I know what it looks like, but I promise you that it tastes sweeter than anything else imaginable - even Golden Syrup!

Craig V

A little OT....

Back in high school, there was a challenge around to drink an entire gallon of milk at lunch, which equates to 16 half pints.  I knew it was not do-able.  The school 'record' was 10.5, and I crushed it up to 13.  Of course we all had garbage cans near us, so when the time came....

I can only think of how bad that was for our bodies.

Then about 2 months later, as I was a leaving senior, decided to raise the bar so no one could ever break it.  The new record was 14, held by yours truely.  Then a whole string of imatators tried, the highest being 13.

I love milk, and drink only skim.  (The contest was a combination of the 3 types, skim, chocolate and 2%)  Most of the facts about milk from the milksucks website are taken from 2%, so a lot of it is not valid for people.

StephenGiles

This stuff is made from condensed milk which is boiled for a very long time with the addition of vast quantities of sugar! Bad for your teeth, bad for your digestion and probably bad for many other things too - oh yes, and very sticky, but it tastes bloody marvellous.

Ge_Whiz

Stephen - just looked up Selsdon on the map. So, we're not quite neighbours, but you, me and Gez are at least in easy driving distance, should we ever find that we have anything in common...

bwanasonic

Quote from: StephenGilesThis stuff is made from condensed milk which is boiled for a very long time with the addition of vast quantities of sugar!

Just buy Sweetened Condensed milk and there is no need to add anything, or to even open the can before simmering covered in water for 2-4 hours. This was the technique I learned over 30 years ago from my best friend who's dad grew up in Argentina ( BA ) and Uruguay.  

http://www.milk.com/recipes/dessert/dulce-de-leche.html

Kerry M

Gringo

QuoteJust buy Sweetened Condensed milk and there is no need to add anything, or to even open the can before simmering covered in water for 2-4 hours.

My mother used to do it exactly that way when i was a small kid  :D
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

StephenGiles

I forgot to mention that we also bought a box of Bagley Blanco Alfajores - pronounced alfa-whore-ez. These are a soft biscuit containing dulce de leche and covered in white chocolate! I last had these at the Belgrano Athletic Club in Belgrano (R) - they are so nice that to just eat one is torture.

Gringo

Ahhh, alfajores, you should try the ones they sell at Mar del Plata, or the ones tipical from Cordoba...
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net