New pic of my white SG copy

Started by StephenGiles, July 11, 2004, 03:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

...just a piece of plywood really.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mike Nichting

Very nice work~!!
What did you make the body out of??
How much did it cost you to build??

Keep on keepin' on bro~!!
Mike N.
NUKLHED
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Lonestarjohnny

P-90 In the Bridge Position, Hard to beat tone, 1 of my Fav's. plus a nice lookin Geetar on top of that.O'l Carl Perkin's would'a loved ya for this 1, thats all he played in his Later year's,
JD

StephenGiles

The body is made of 2 pieces of plywood. I made the holes in the top or bottom piece before glueing together, ah yes and very important, the cut out for the wire from the pickup. I know absolutely nothing about woodwork and have only a couple of cheap hand tools. The neck was supposed to be hardwood, maybe oak, but I was ripped off by the timber yard and in fact the wood was not too hard. I took the frets off an old diy guitar and somehow because they are so bad, I can get my fingers right under the strings for vibrato. The frets are highly smoothed and polished with wire wool. The pickup is a P90 and I made the dog ears out of balsa wood. For a while it was red, but I sprayed it white in the end. The pick guard is 2 thick pieces of cardboard stuck together!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Gringo

Hey Stephen, that's really nice, what blueprints did you use?

I've got a piece of wood drying, while i save for all the hardware. It'll also be an SG when i'm finished with it :)

I really dig your building style too ;)
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

donald stringer

Nice work, I am very partial to sg, copy or otherwise. Making something out of nothing is what its all about. I once made an les paul copy out of part of an industial machinery packing crate that had arrived from germany. They make good heavy boxes.
troublerat

Mark Hammer

I have a birthday coming up this week, and thought I'd treat myself to a home-made guitar to bring along on a family trip across the country.  It'll be sort of a combination Danelectro, Les Paul TV.  Slab LP body, pair of P-90s (cream soapbar style), solid LP Jr bridge, and an old horseshoe Bigsby.  The neck comes from an older Ibanez LP clone.  The body is a pine core with masonite top and red formica surface.  With the exception of glueing the pine together last year, I started working on it on Saturday, and expect to be finished before Friday, barring interruptions.   About as slapdash as it gets, and given that the inspiration for it was listening to a Paul Westerberg album over and over, slapdash is just about right.

I've been taking pictures of it in various stages and will post when done.

In the meantime, Steve, are you busy learning Foghat songs or something?

StephenGiles

Mark, I can only play blues stuff on the SG because I have the strings detuned 3 semitones on an old Martin Bronze accoustic set - 1st for 2nd, 2nd for 3rd etc - so very loose! Chords sound awfull, but single notes through my Rat and SPX50 sound bloody good, and I can get really good finger vibrato after the bend which I can't normally do! I did this recording over a backing track for Cream's Politician and amazed myself - never been able to repeat it.
Stephen