Crowded House

Started by Lonestarjohnny, July 11, 2004, 11:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonestarjohnny

Any body know what kind of effects Niel Finn used on "Don't Dream, It's over", ?
JD

brett

Is there a flanger (or phaser?) in there?
When I read your question, I played the song in my head and I'm guessing that DDIO and "It's only natural" use subtle flanging to get that  swirling, airy effect.

Talented lads, Crowded House.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

DaveTV

Know the song well. I always thought it sounded like heavy chorus going into a delay. The delay sort of gives it a spacey slap-back sound. You can hear it on those opening chords. Great song. Great band. Probably one of the best pop bands of their era. Miss em.

GM Arts

I agree with Dave TV:

chorus - yes
slapback delay - yes
miss 'em - yes

GMA

RDV

Good old expensive studio effects. Sounds good don't it?

RDV

Lonestarjohnny

I love his adjustment Knowledge of Effect's, nice tone for this Song, great effect, I wonder if it was a Roland Tape unit ?
JD

Ben N

One of my all time faves.  BTW, don't mourn them just yet--Neil & Tim are touring and recording as the Finn Bros. again, and I think Neil's output over the last 10 years has been excellent--sparse, but excellent.

Anyway, back to the topic:  I have no idea if this is correct, and I'm sure they didn't do it in the studio with pedals, but I play it with a chorus (CE-2) and a Flanger (Guyatone or Electric Mistress) in parallel, both going through a short delay (Dan-Echo or DD-3).  I use a Boss LS-2 to do the mixing.  Mixing the chorus and flanger gives a big, deep, 3-dimensional sound.  Try it.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Lonestarjohnny

Het thank's guy's,
Ben I'm going to see them in Austin here very soon, they're playing at Stubb's next month, And I hope to get ticket's this week if i can afford it, I'll try your system and see how it work's,
JD

Ben N

JD:
Hey, let us know how the show is, who's in the band (Lisa Germano?), play list, etc.  I couldn't make it the night they played in NY :cry:
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Alpha579

Quote from: JDHet thank's guy's,
Ben I'm going to see them in Austin here very soon, they're playing at Stubb's next month, And I hope to get ticket's this week if i can afford it, I'll try your system and see how it work's,
JD

:(  Lucky....
Where are they from?
Alex Fiddes

AdamOn6thStreet

Quote from: JDHet thank's guy's,
JD

When!?

There is no concert or mention of the band on PollStar, Stubb's website, or the band's website....

Lonestarjohnny

http://www.frontgatetickets.com/index.php?SNIX=3bcc34a7c82c9c1dd3dff92b6039482a&v=1&search.x=6&search.y=6

It's the Brother's, not actually Crowded House, but Neil was in SplitEndz with his brother.
It's 21 buck's a pop, Aug. 4 at Stubb's.
JD