News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Mini-Mixer

Started by Sic, July 12, 2004, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sic

I just build the Mini-Mixer from GGG, and i must say, its a rather fun little thing. My building is definately getting better... im actually using heatshrink now.  :oops:

In fact, i didn't make any mistakes drilling the case either (though trying to make sure all the measurements were right with a tape measure is kinda hard =p)

My buddy and I just finished a little bit of art for the case, and he's getting it made up today, so if i can remember i will post some pics.

It makes you feel really good looking at a finished project and saying "wow, i made that... literally MADE that"

thanks to the forum!!

-sic

Mark Hammer

Now that you have a mixer, you'll want a splitter so that you can start to experiment with parallel effects chains...which, of course, will become a necessity when you start building all those *other* boxes.

Sic

what do you mean by splitter?  i think i know what you mean, but i can really wrap my head around it... could be due to the monsoon and my migraine =/

Im thinking of putting a compressor in the same box for one of the inputs.

I think the weirdest thing about the mixer is for some reason i had an overwhelming desire to put a stompswitch in it... not even to actually turn it on/off... but just for the look... lol

Ever look at stuff and picture it with input/output jacks and stompswitches?

Mark Hammer

The opposite of a mixer.  Instead of combining several inputs into one output, a splitter takes one input and turns it into several isolated outputs.  In this way you cold, for instance send a clean signal to a delay or reverb of some kind, and simultaneously send the instrument to a ring modulator which is NOT delayed but IS gated.  So, every note played starts out *really* gronkey and abruptly changes into a clean decaying wash.  Parallel processing is a wonderful thing.

AllyP

is there not a box that does both....ie ip, 2 send and recieves, op with pots for levels of dry, effect chain 1, and effect chain 2? hmmm :?: plus maybe a switchs for bypass, chain1 only, chain2 only and both?

Mark Hammer

If there isn't, then it's not all that hard to make.  I think Jack Orman has a schematic for a splitter over at AMZ and RG Keen has one at GEOFEX.  I'm also fairly certain that some of the other regulars here (who I hope will forgive me for not remembering them by name) have suggested schemes at their websites.

Gringo

The splitter-blend at ROG, perhaps?
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Leandro

The Parallelyzer at General Guitar Gadgets is a parallel loop box which includes a splitter, buffered loops with optional phase inversion and a mini-mixer at the end.  You've already got part of that built, maybe you should check out the rest.  At the least it's an interesting read...

Sic

OHHHH nice! just skimming over that article it caught my eye. The part about phase selection is VERY interesting.

Thanks for the response Mark and the rest