Somewhat OT-Arion SAD3 Delay-Analog?

Started by ildar, July 13, 2004, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildar

Are these Arion SAD3 pedals true analog? Anyone know what main delay chip(s) are used?

R@bbiT

From MN series analog delay chips are MN3002, MN 3004 MN3005 MN3007 and others, but there are SAD1024, ....SAD**** ...
I hope you get your answer about analog delay chips.

Chris R

i have one at home.. i can open it up tonight.. if no one else knows.

C

Mark Hammer

The chances are pretty good that it is analog.  I have personally never seen a digitally-based product from Arion.  Not saying they've never made one, but they seem to stick to analog.

The SAD likely refers to "Stereo Analog Delay", meaning there are two output jacks so that dry and wet can be routed separately.  Common technique.

Paul Marossy

I have an 80's Arion SAD-1 delay which I really dig. Like Mark says, Arion pedals are pretty much strictly analog, although, I believe that in the late 80s they did offer a digital delay, IIRC.

Dan N

I'm sure there is a thread about this in the archives. It uses an MN3208 as I recall.

bwanasonic

Quote from: ildarAre these Arion SAD3 pedals true analog? Anyone know what main delay chip(s) are used?

Well, it is analog, but it also kind of puny and weak. They are so cheap though, that it's easy to overlook it's weak points and look for it's charms. Mine uses the MN3208. Now that I have mine opened up...  :twisted:

Kerry M

Fret Wire

I have two SD-1's, one black, one grey. They use the MN3205 & 3102 clock driver. TA75558 Op Amp, can definately be upgraded. Funny, look to the left of the input jack: 0-ohm resistors. Pedals alot more expensive than that don't use those for jumpers. Seen worse caps too. As you can see, the pots are kinda like high grade trimmers. Hardware wise, the stereo, and on-off switches are their weakest parts. As long as you don't abuse these pedals, they'll give good service.  

The SAD-3 just went back up price wise at Musicians Friend. It was $19.95, and will go back down in about two monthes. They rotate the $14.95 and $19.95 specials amongst the Arion pedals every month or two. Sorry for the pics, I took those at night with poor lighting.
For the price, they're hard to resist for projects.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040402075218069166032191518093/g=guitar/s=effects/search/b=1106

Right now the $14.99 specials are on the Monoral Dist. and Tubulator. I wonder if the Tubulator is a TS clone?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Marossy

When I took out the PCB from my SAD-1, I was kinda suprised at all those parts packed on that board...
What I like about my SAD-1 is all the weird noises it will make if you tweak the knobs while noodling around.

Fret Wire

Yeah, turning the delay knob while you're playing is fun. The board is pretty crowded. Did you notice the inline IC right next to the stereo-out jack?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Marossy

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I can see it sandwiched in there... :shock:

Mark Hammer

You might also note the compander chip, not recognizable at first because it starts with a upc1, rather than the NE or SA most are accustomed to.  But it IS a 571.  I was sort of wondering how on earth they could extract any sort of reasonable delay time with a 3208 and reasonable noise levels.  The 571 helps out a lot in that regard.

Actually, for the selling price, those parts (MN3201, 3208, 571, jacks and pots) add up to a lot more than the price for the whole box.

Lurco

It starts with MN32, but it is a 05.

Mark Hammer

Paul Marossy

I have also wondered how they can sell those things for so cheap. There must be at least $15 worth of parts in that thing. Probably even at wholsale rates..

Fret Wire

You were right the first time Mark. My pic is a SAD-1, which does use a MN3205. The SAD-3 uses the MN3208. I don't know what clock driver the SAD-3 uses. I think the delay time for the SAD-1 is 250ms vs. 200ms for the SAD-3. Mark, what else besides the 3208 accounts for a 50ms difference?

You're right Mark, when they're on sale for $19.95, they're a great value for the money. If you removed the pots, 4 jacks, and 2 switches, the board would be about 1/3 smaller. We've talked about this before, maybe next time they go on special, I'll grab two and start working out a layout for a dual-delay box.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

slackhammer

i know it's been discussed again and again, but I would love for someone to do a dual box for these.  I have 3 and don't have the never/skill to attempt it at this point.  someone else is going to have to dip their toe in the water first :-)

Fret Wire

It's one of those "I've been meaning to get to it someday" type projects. I just checked, and the SAD-3 is $24.95. When it rotates back to 19.95, I'll probably grab two. It will be mostly layout work, plus maybe a little modding. If I'm happy with the results, I'd probably do it with my SAD-1's.

It would be a good thing to try, because you could double or triple box different Arion effects, they're all the same size. Right now, their Stereo Chorus is on sale for $19.95. A dual anolog delay for under $80 wouldn't be a bad thing.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Toney

Just read through the Harmony central Tubulator reviews.$20 bucks for a pretty valid TS tone.Crikey!
 Arion totally slipped under my personal radar, they always looked so junky. The things you learn here......
 Know of any other "sleepers" ??? :)

Fret Wire

Actually, the Tubulator is $14.99 right now. They have two sale prices, $14.99 & $19.99, and they rotate the pedals in and out of sale every so often. That's why the rehousing project would be nice, several of these in one box. RG's steel stud enclosure comes to mind.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040402075218069166032191518093/g=guitar/s=effects/search/b=1106
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)