News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

SansAmp GT?

Started by crawler486, July 13, 2004, 06:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crawler486

What type of switch is needed for the SansAmp GT?

Is it a distortion or an amp simulator?

zener

Hey man,

So, you're building the GT2, huh? :twisted:  You need 3 2P3T switches for it. I've built it 3 times last summer  :shock:  I got my switches from our local Deeco. They have 2 types, the miniature 2P3T and the long shaft, larger 2P3T. They're both P21 a piece.

Is it a distortion or an amp simulator? If you go by the name, then it is an amp simulator. But let me tell you, it's one hell of a distortion for me :twisted:  The only setting where you can get clean sound is at Tweed/Clean. The rest are from mild overdrive up to the screaming lead and crunchy riffs which what I use it for :twisted:

There are other things you may want to ponder about the GT2. I'll left everything to you to use the search button above. I think our fellow Ej is also planning or already have built the GT2.

I hope you don't get nasty oscillations. I got some in my first two builds. Lots of wiring there, prepare yourself if something goes wrong. Good luck
Oh yeah!

john1056

I've got a GT2.  It's a pretty awesome pedal for heavy stuff.  You might want to consider getting one on Ebay for $100 or so rather than building it.  It's a pretty complicated build and I've read posts that say the California (Mesa Boogie) and British (Marshal) settings sound really similar.  They don't sound the same on mine.  Also there are people that say that the original Sans Amp sounded better (the one with the dip switches on top)  but I don't know.  I had a Tri-OD and a GT2 for a while and the Tri-OD sounded a little better to my ears but it had a really slow switch that make it unusable live (this was before I started hanging around here, now I would have just fixed it!).  Best of luck either way :)

Athin

hi, I've made one. Got the switches from a friend. You might want to get tlc2262's - then the bastard sounds like the oryginal (some say) I prefer 4558's. tl072's suck - don't buy. If you can't get the switches do what I did initially - use cd4066's a couple of NOR's and 6 reset switches - it ain't easy, ain't pretty, ain't small, but it something.
DIY XOR die.

stm

I built the GT-2 from Tonepad some months ago. I liked its sound on my cheap solid-state Fender practice amp.  One day I tried the GT-2 with a Marshall 30th Anniversary, and there was no way to make the amp sound better with the GT-2, i.e., the 30th Anniversary sounded better alone (using its own distortion tubes) than with the GT-2, no matter how I tried the 27 different switch combinations and pots (by the way, there are in fact 27 = 3^3 possible switch combinations).  I was quite dissapointed.  One bit of hope came when I read that you should use the TLC2262's, so I am waiting for my free samples from TI to arrive to give it another try.  :twisted:

By the way, I used the TL072's for my current build!  :wink:

bwanasonic

Quote from: john1056Also there are people that say that the original Sans Amp sounded better (the one with the dip switches on top)  but I don't know.  

The classic is considered better for direct recording, but the GT2 is often preferred for use in front of a clean amp.

Kerry M