Doh! Somebody help! - Connections in a Boss DD-3

Started by chokeyou, July 13, 2004, 01:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chokeyou

Can anybody out there PLEASE open up their Boss DD-3 and get a good pic or two of the wire connections to jacks? I'm in a pickle...I was attempting an expression pedal mod when the whole thing went kaput for no reason that i could see. so i put it down for a day to come back to it and overnight the cat knocked it to the floor and i lost many of the little brittle connections there because i had been tugging on them all the day before. but anyways, yeah...can i get a few pictures of the jacks? I've been posting this everywhere i can think of as well as emailing anybody i think that could help. I'm also willing to paypal whoever does so a few bucks for their troubles, thank you so much in advance.

chokeyou

OR if you'd prefer to sell your Boss DD-3
I'm offering $60 shipped.

I'm in a pickle, somebody help!!

Peter Snowberg

Sorry I don't have a DD3 to check out for you, but if you post info about what connections are broken there's a good possibility that we can figure things out without too much effort. There are only so many places that they can go. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

chokeyou

well,
at one time or another at this point they've all been broken however many I've soldered back to where I believe they go.  So its more all the connections than any number of them that i need to know now. thats why I thought a picture would do more justice than anything else

My other concern: Is there any reason that even after you have resoldered wires for it not to work? I could have sworn it was all back together and have checked with my multimeter to see if the soldering jobs were up to snuff and it said they were. I'm thinking maybe heat from the soldering iron damaged parts (though I wasnt touching anything with it...perhaps just through the wire or leads it damaged a component...that possible?) I dont know anymore...I think I'm just going to have to get a new one.

we'll see soon though

thanks,
tyler

travissk

Yes, it is always possible that heat could have damaged parts, but especially when you're talking about connections to the input/output jacks, I don't think it's too likely. Even so, if something -did- overheat, just replace the things you soldered to and that could do the trick - better than dishing out $60 for a new pedal :)

I would have to go with just double-checking your connections. As Peter said, there's only so many places the circuit can begin and end, and since many Boss effects have similar connections for the battery, input jack, etc, it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

So, with that in mind, what do the broken connections go to? Just the jacks? Or also the battery, pots, etc? An expression pedal mod means you would have been messing around with the wires to the pots, so how far did you get with that mod before the whole thing stopped working? If one of your expression mod wires didn't get completely connected, then you've got an open circuit.

I know it's frustrating when none of us has pictures, and while that would be an easy way to fix it, if no one has a DD-3 then it should still be fixable without us knowing too much about the guts - good luck!

chokeyou

basically yes, all the wires to the input/output jacks are sketchy at this point. I have lost a wire or two from the battery clip and the switch. I also lost the 'Direct Out' wire but i got that back onto the board and the jack with no problem

I havent really lost any connections to the board, luckily...the wire ends have just been twisted and broken off the jacks, so they're really easy repairs (you'd think anyways)

to answer your question of how far I got, I had soldered the 3 wire ends to the 3 solder points on the underneith side of the board where the pot connected. a source told me thats probably all that is done on the E13 mods (he specifies that the delay time knob has to be twisted all the way to the left in order for the mod to work correctly)

then i checked with my power supply (bad idea i know) and it doesnt work (my power supply does still, luckily...all hail the godlyke!)

but anyways...i've followed wire connections along the circuit from the leaf they're connected to in the jack all the way past whatever component is next in line from the soldering point on the pcb... and from what i can tell all connections are stable and reliable. the only thing at this point that i can think of is that i have wires crossed.

I should probably take a picture for you folks, so standby and I'm gonna try to do that for you.

thanks for your help so far!

chokeyou

sorry for the horrible pictures, old, cheap digital camera, you do the math...I also dove right into this mod not ever modding anything before this complicated (though its really simple...i should have taken better care labelling what goes where and what everything is...im not sure anymore what is input, what is output, or what is direct out, though i have a pretty good idea)

http://www.goodbyebeautiful.com/pedal/1.JPG
here is where i soldered the wires to for the expression pedal mod (they're the darker, blurry splotches there..haha) they're connected to the 3rd pot there (the delay time pot) now i know when i disconnected the wires that the soldering points remain stable because i have checked with a multimeter to see if there is a connection between that soldering points and the leads closest to it...didnt really get a dead spot on the solder...so i assume its ok (unless you chaps have a better way of making sure)

http://www.goodbyebeautiful.com/pedal/2.JPG
this picture is just showing you some stray wires there. the jack in the middle-lower part of the picture is missing two wires in addition to the blue one already connected...one is that upper yellow one flying there with no connection and the other is a black one coming from the switch (so i think this is the input jack) I'm unsure whether these are the correct wires or if they're in the correct places...I've tried so many different combinations at this point my head is spinning. that lower left jack is the direct out jack (i think, haha)...which i intend to transform into direct out

http://www.goodbyebeautiful.com/pedal/3.JPG
sorry for the really blurry pic. this is what i assume to be the output jack. i have really no idea on the combination of wires here, colored brown, gray and black I have no idea anymore where they go on the jack here is where i think I'm bumming

http://www.goodbyebeautiful.com/pedal/4.JPG
heres just a good pic for you to get an idea of the kind of mess I'm in right now... this aint no fun...i should have bucked up and just sent E13 the $35 to have him do it... i really ought to learn to take my time on these kind of things....

thanks you guys for the help

jimbob

I have a dd3..ill see if i can get my camera working..prob not..but ill try

jim
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

niftydog

Quotesorry for the horrible pictures, old, cheap digital camera

Hey, at least you've got one! BTW, you can link to those images so they display whithin your post. Like this;

Use the "Img" tags at the top of the edit screen. To get the above, the format is shown below;
[img]http://www.goodbyebeautiful.com/pedal/1.JPG[/img]

A tip for next time; when I pull something apart, the first thing I do is make a quick "mud map" of all the connections. Draw the rough shape of the circuit board, sketch in the wires, marking their colour and where the other end connects to.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

chokeyou

yeah i know, just didnt know how long my post was going to be and/or how bad the pictures were gonna look, just trying to keep this all neat-like

jimbob, you would make my day man! may the gods let your camera work well!!!

chokeyou

but if it doesnt, it'd be swell if you just tell me how the wires are all hooked up there on those jacks...

you know just in relation to the little sleeve-leaf thing.

cant wait!!

jimbob

it worked..i just need your e mail address and there on thier way..theres 4 of them..not sure if thell help. Hopefully..

btw- i had this same problm w a ds-2 a while back after mods and couldnt find pics so i know what its like! I scratched the project and use it for parts. the ds-2 shell is now painted black and used for joe's "blackfire"..Bla bla bla , anyway..get me that email and there on there way!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

chokeyou

tyler@goodbyebeautiful.com

thanks man, if the pictures arent too clear can i get a little annotation there?

thank you so much

if you have a paypal account i'll be happy to send you a few bucks!!

jimbob

goodluck! no money needed. Hope they help. My msn email acting kinda funny might be a few minutes depending on them..well see.