ISO... schem for powerstrip "lightning rod"

Started by tarzanalog, July 13, 2004, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarzanalog

Greetings,
I remember some time ago that somebody posted a DIY project that turned a three-prong AC plug into a "lightning rod" of sorts so that when you plugged it into an open spot on your powerstrip (or rack PS) it would take the blow in the event of a power overload... instead of your gear. I remember it being pretty simple with maybe Zener diodes wired across the poles inside the plug or something like that... maybe $3 in parts. Can anyone post that/send it to me/ design something similar?
Thanks,
T

ampman50

I built one. I used three MOV (metal oxide varistors) rate at 250 volts each. Connect one across the blades, then connect one from each blade to the ground terminal. Or the easiest way is to buy a surge protecter strip from your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's, Radio Shack, Walmart etc.) which have the MOV's built in.

ampman50

I built one. I used three MOV (metal oxide varistors) rate at 250 volts each. Connect one across the blades, then connect one from each blade to the ground terminal. Or the easiest way is to buy a surge protecter strip from your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's, Radio Shack, Walmart etc.) which have the MOV's built in.