Substitute for JRC4558D (TS-clone)?

Started by Mann, July 14, 2004, 02:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

analogmike

Quote from: mikebI'd even put the Ge transistor thing (i.e. you MUST have blahblahblahs in your fuzz-face otherwise it won't be as 'good' as it could be) in this category - as long as the devices have the 'magic' gains (which have been recognised and documented) it will sound pretty bloody good.

Mike

That's not true at all. We have about 10 good types of NOS transistors we use for fuzzface mods and sunfaces, and about 20 other types we bought (most on ebay) that are just not good enough. For example. we have about 5 various versions of AC-128 and they all suck in tone. I have about 100 AC128 pullouts from the Arbiter England fuzzfaces too, all lousy.

I can take a pair of any of these 10 good types with the same gain and leakage and hear the difference between another type. Don't ask me why, I just test them by meter and ear and it's VERY hard to find transistors that sound good enough to me, and clean up well when you turn the volume down.

Have fun and make some smaller phasers for us soon!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

mikeb

Quote from: analogmikeI can take a pair of any of these 10 good types with the same gain and leakage and hear the difference between another type. Don't ask me why, I just test them by meter and ear and it's VERY hard to find transistors that sound good enough to me, and clean up well when you turn the volume down.

Have fun and make some smaller phasers for us soon!

I guess I'm speaking from the point of view of playing with a band. I'd venture to say that 99% of all differences between opamps, ge transistors, whatever, are completely lost when in a band mix. Then again, I admit I don't have much of an ear for fuzz anyway ... it all begins to sound the same to me after a while.

When I've finished working 50 hour weeks and have enough money to do the smaller phasers, they'll BE done.

Mike

gdmart

if a eh-1332 big muff sounds to metal with a  rc 4558 and a lm741 cn opamp can someone tell me which of the many opamps will sound more vintage,or like the transistor versions.that way Ill have a starting point to work from