mxr filter chips

Started by leonhendrix, July 14, 2004, 06:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonhendrix

I now have most of the parts for the mxr envelope filter so i decided to a search on the forum for problems there might be with it and there are a few threads about people saying that if the chips are from texas instruments it might not work or if ic3 is a TI chip it want wah. the problem is thats where i just got my chips from.

could it still work with the chips i got?

Peter Snowberg

As long as your inverters have a UB in the ending of the part number you should give them a try for sure!

You might find less than optimal performance, but chances are good that it will work at least somewhat. I've seen at least one MXR schematic that specified RCA chips only.

Always use the best quality sockets you can get. I don't mind paying $2 for the socket and $0.25 for the chip that goes in it because of benefits. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Fret Wire

Quote from: Peter SnowbergYou might find less than optimal performance, but chances are good that it will work at least somewhat. I've seen at least one MXR schematic that specified RCA chips only.
Take care,
-Peter

Peter, could you expand on this? What about the other way around, using the RCA IC's in other circuits? The reason I ask is that I have 10 TI CD4049UBE's, and 50 RCA's. I've never seen a data sheet specifically for the RCA IC. Is there any difference?
They are marked:
"CD4049UBE"
"RCA 245"
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

gez

I think it was Brett who posted something about changing one of the resistor values in the VCO to get some chips to work.  Should be in the archives somewhere, or perhaps he'll chip in.

Even if they are tetchy in this circuit, these chips will work fine in distortion circuits (they are unbuffered aren't they?), don't bin them.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

leonhendrix