Soundclips: Is this a Univibe?

Started by Ballz, July 14, 2004, 07:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballz

Hi guys - I have been using very few effects over the years, so can´t say I have much experience. This is one I´d actually like to have beside the Rangemaster :-)

Please listen to the Hendrix-esque clips here (Swedish guitarist Staffan Astner, on a Louise Hoffsten song):
http://www.it.mah.se/mp3/suffer_vibe_1.mp3 237kB or so

http://www.it.mah.se/mp3/suffer_vibe_2.mp3 220kB or so

and let me know - is this a Univibe? Rotosphere? Vibratone? Real Leslie?What is it, and what is the closest DIY project clone (sonically) of this device?

Cheers /Richard

RDV

That's a Fuzzface driving a Univibe into a Marshall Plexi. Nothing else sounds like that. Nice, huh?

RDV

Ballz

Nice? It´s bleedin´awesome....unfortunately, I cant get the setup verified, but you certainly seem to have good ears/experience in this field :-) - now let´s see what other input we get on this one :-)

Edit: When I hear this, I am instantly teleported to the Isle of Wight, wind blowing thru my (then much longer :-)) hair, hearing Jimi doing Voodoo Chile or Robin Trower doing Bridge of sighs....

Now, the Fuzzface is the only distorsion factor here (apart from the Plexi, of course)? No distorsion from the Univibe, just the Leslie-style cycling?

Cheers /Richard

george

hmmm that second clip has a bit of an octavia sound to it ... this guy's obviously a huge Hendrix fan so he'd probably have an octavia too ...

petemoore

Yes a very nice Wobbly Vibe sound!!!
 Univibes are 'clean', well not Fuzzy at any rate. Can be very phazey...
 That clip sounds like someone cloned The Experience, - the trippy vocals and lyrics...nice drum mix and everything!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

SteveB

Plus, the fuzz is there before the univibe in the signal chain, as well as an Octavia or some other octive doubling fuzz. The amp is distorting, too, or the player could be using an OD pedal after the univibe, then into the amp.

The sound of the fuzz before univibe is promenently heard when the open E chords are being played. Sort of like a little bit of high end swishyness. If he'd be playing though a clean amp, the sound wouldn't nearly be as thick. It would be more like the tone heard on the Isley Brother's "Who's That Lady?"

Really cool stuff, one of my favorite sounds in the world.

Steve

RDV

Maybe an Axis fuzz in front?

RDV

SteveB

I forgot to say that I built one about 8 years ago using info that R.G. Keen had at the time. It's still going strong & really sounds good, but I'm not sure if the info is still on the GEO site.

To me, the closest thing to the '69-'70 live Hendrix sound is this FX configuration. Wah-wah, Octavia, Fuzz, Univibe, OD or distortion pedal, & amp. Of course, we can forget about the OD & distortion pedal at the end & use really good amp distortion at a very heathy volume. But for most applications, the OD pedal will do. But....none of that can make me play like the man.  :?

Steve

Ballz

The rest of the song is on my box for a limited time only, don´t want us to get caught with copyright violation 8) , so you will have to figure out the URL yourselves....:

delete the _vibe_1  and _vibe_2 parts of the filenames

Note 5MB size...not for modemers. Psychedelic rock at its best - I even think the song is originally by John Lee Hooker?

For your listening pleasure and educational purposes only....

/R

b_rogers

man what a jimi tone...definitely a octavia in there..his vibe has a great sweep to it too...sounds dead on to me.
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/