Odd tantalum cap value help??

Started by MartyMart, July 14, 2004, 11:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Hi, wonder if anyone can help, i have a small brown tantalum cap ( not a hat! ) about 5 mm high which reads  R47-35.
I'm guessing 0.47uf 35 volts, or poss 4.7uf .......any ideas ?
It doesn't have any other mark apart from + on the positive side.
Many thanks in advance, Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

I'm finding little 'bulb' caps in puter monitors, they have only an orange and blue [I actually forget the colors sorry] anyway two  square spots on a green colored background...anyone have ideas about this type coding?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

"Capacitor Nirvana" from a previous topic might help you out, but there's not much help for me there !.
I'm going with 0.47uf and see what gives, its around a drive circuit, so i doubt its 4.7uf !!!.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

It looks like the one at the top of that cap decoder page.
 But it is solid green, [is that a voltage code?], with maroon [something between purple brown and red], and black.
 Green squareish cap, small, with red and black square spots on it.  Came from a Computer monitor board...any ideas?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Leandro

I remember reading somewhere that the "R" in capacitor values represents the decimal point.  So, "R47" would mean "0.47", and if I recall correctly from that same document, the standard unit of measure is uF.

Ergo, "R47" = "0.47 uF".  (The 35 is most probably the voltage rating in Volts.)

MartyMart

Many thanks for the tip Leandro, it was indeed 0.47uf, ( i lifted it to 1uf anyway ) i'll remember the "R" in future.
I've seen loads of small tantalum caps with nothing written on, which is even worse! you just have to work out what it might be or get a schematic.
Marty. :lol: