OT: Anyone who knows anything about tubes please help!!

Started by sir_modulus, July 14, 2004, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir_modulus

Got some black metal tubes that say mullard. Recovered from a place that is a known military base out of a cupboard. When you shake themwith some force, they kinda jingle, but no shorts anywhere(except filament, which has resistance. All are 6V6 tubes. Anyone know how to test these(minus tubetester and 6V6 amp)? Could these be N.O.S Jan Mullard 6V6's? If so, what are they worth?

aron

I don't know much about them, but a while back I was looking at these and the consensus (from the people that knew) were that the metal ones didn't sound very good and didn't fetch much.

FWIW.

Dave Z

May as well try them, I've read some of the old metal tubes sounded great.

bwanasonic

Any amp repair places in your area? Maybe they have a Deluxe around you could try them in? Might be worth calling.

Kerry M

Ballz

Watch out - they might have a different pin configuration than the glass version 6V6, so make sure you have the sockets wired correctly or you´ll get a big POOF (B+ to chassis!). I don´t remember offhand if they have different internal connections also. In any case it´s dangerous to just pop them in where there used to be glass 6V6.

Also, their ratings are different (dissipation, max voltages etc) so I´d suggest some care here too.

HTH/Richard