what enclosure should i use for the mcmeat?

Started by marrstians, July 15, 2004, 02:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrstians

what enclosure should i use for the mcmeat? i don't want to have to spend $20 on a box and all of those pots not fit inside... any help?

petemoore

Get a plate of metal.
 I got some good stuff from an ONKYO reciever.
 Draw a perfect rectangle, maybe large enough for two effects and related switches and knobs, leaving at least 2'' of workpiece past all sides...it's easier to get square working off a factory cut side.
 Decide how deep you want the box less than 2'', then score the side bends in from all sides. cut the piece that will be the top and sides, cut the squares the score lines made with a cutter.
 Use a cold chisel and evenly smash the score lines to ease the bending process, or use a sharp chisel very repeatecly with very stiff pressure along the score lines...or somehow figure a way to remove 1/4 of the metal on the score line...
 Bend the metal to form top and sides. Encase the metal in wood or leather, just around the sides, maybe a little past the top. Optional pinstriping around the top. Optional paint/design work on the top.
 I can whip the metal piece up in 20 Min. That's enough to mount yer stuff in. thing about the wood is the jack thread depth/plug access you have to work around.
 Q & D, but gets a strong, right sized box.
 If you 'detent' the bottom plate by making the outside sides deeper than the metal sides, you can 'angle screw' the bottom in and have [I think] pretty good shielding contact.
 I've seen creative use of metal and wood boxes that produces excellent looking products, some plate aluminum...slant top, front and back, look great!!!
 Get a bender or rig something up. I did mine with shears, cold chisel pliers and clamps with leather or wood impart even, flat  pressure and to prevent dents or scratches.
 Two flat pieces and a wood frame? You'd need to shield, or not sheild the sides.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.