News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

3DPTs?

Started by christian, July 15, 2004, 09:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christian

Hi, I´m back.
First time I´m checking stuff out here for a year.
What´s all this fuss about 3DPT switches??
What happen to the DPDT and some transistor circuitry?

It´s maybe not for beginners, but my strongest opinion goes for
4013 and a single SPST push-button switch. gives you LED also =D !
who loves rain?

Christ.

Marcos - Munky

Hi Christian. How are you? Hope you are fine. The DPDT and transistor bypasses are still in use, but the 3PDT are the "most liked" now because you can get true bypass and LED easily, without any external circuit. I use DPDTs and transistor bypass circuits. The 4013 circuit rocks too. I used one once. Are you working in new circuits?

christian

I can see that 3DPT is better for beginners, but for me, they are *pretty* expensive..
Well, I haven´t build a single thing for a year(?). I learned to program in C, and never got back. That´s free to do and addictive and fun.
Transistors cost, you know ;)
who loves rain?

Christ.

aron

Good compilers cost money. I used to enjoy programming a lot.

What are you working on in C?

travissk

Way OT, but GCC is good and free.

For academic use we're on Unix systems, but for personal projects I use Visual C++ 6.0, and at work I'm using C# and VS.NET.

I have heard the free .NET runtime package includes commandline compilers for C++, C#, etc. You don't get the shiny IDE (which is pretty nice in many respects), but it's free.

For Java, Eclipse is one of the more widely-used development environments; it's good and it's free, but it doesn't run too well on older systems (Pentium II and the like). My Duron 600 ran it "just ok", but when I upgraded to an Athlon XP 1800+ (or so) it ran just fine :)

Then there are free languages like Python, Perl, etc.

This is even more OT, but I feel that it's getting increasingly hard to get a foothold in programming. When I was young we had QuickBASIC and my TI-99/4A BASIC interpreter, which would let you get some stuff on the screen really quick, without messing with compiling, linking, and window creation junk. Sure, QBasic sometimes doesn't teach good skills (my friends and I learned from the helpfile and used GOTO to simulate what we eventually found were loops :)), but you can have some fun and learn a thing or two rather quickly.

Back on topic: I agree that 3PDT switches cost a good amount of money compared to the actual transistors, resistors, etc you may use in the circuit, but I (and I presume just about everyone else) feels it's worth it for the finished product you get. There's always DPDTs as you mention, which are a little cheaper.

Shameless plug - Aron has good prices and great service on 3PDT switches should you decide to order them. :wink:

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: christianTransistors cost, you know ;)
Yeah, and sometimes they costs more than we want. I don't know how to program in C, but I believe is a fun hobby. A year ago I was learning how to create things for a fighting game called M.U.G.E.N., and was fun, then I entered in stompbox addiction.

christian

a little OT yeah. Don´t want to barge in about digital stuff, sorry.
I shouldn´t say, but I got my Visual Studio, **legally..
QuoteGood compilers cost money. I used to enjoy programming a lot.

What are you working on in C?

Doing different stuff. 3D graphics mostly and trying to get some 2d-game
to get going, but there´s quite a project to do by myself.
Lately I´ve been interested in DSP. Virtual synths and something.
Reason I started to program was because, I wanted to write my own tracker-studio, cause they all pay pretty $$$ ( or €€€ in here).

Anyway, before I stopped building FX, I had whole bunch of new stuff to be added to my site, but I just deleted all files from my hard-drive and never gotto publish them. I think there were some weird stuff and also something useful, but..
who loves rain?

Christ.

mikeb

Welcome back!!!!  8)

Mike

aron

I hate to say it but after programming for all these years, I refuse to touch command line compilers and programming environments without a decent debugger.

I know these tools work for people that they get great work done.

BUT......

For me, I refuse to believe that people cannot create tools in 2004 that are not even as good as Turbo C w/ debugger was. I mean, come on, Turbo Pascal, Turbo C, was FUN! Yeah, text mode, but the debugger worked and the  compiler was fast.

Gringo

QuoteI hate to say it but after programming for all these years, I refuse to touch command line compilers and programming environments without a decent debugger.

Once upon a time (:D) i had to debug a distributed java app using java's command line debug (jdk 1.1.6).

I learned a lot, but payed a high price :lol:
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

christian

My wallet surely forgives me that I didn´t buy my Visual Studio, but to anyone who programs(in C, C++ or Basic and Win32 programs) I strongly recommend buying this! This is probably the only really good piece of software that Microsoft ever got out from their closed hole :)

And also, I wanna raise my hat for Aron too, who has kept with beginners for so long, and making sure that there is still people who aren´t afraid of grabbing the soldering-iron and finding out that you don´t have to buy everything, when you can build stuff yourself and maybe even come up with better results! Thank you.
who loves rain?

Christ.

Hal

Quote from: christianI can see that 3DPT is better for beginners, but for me, they are *pretty* expensive..
Well, I haven´t build a single thing for a year(?). I learned to program in C, and never got back. That´s free to do and addictive and fun.
Transistors cost, you know ;)

to get back on topic...
Aron sells the 3PDT's for $6.60 each, shipped.  Carling DPDT's cost something like $8.50 (?) from Steve.  +a scrap of perf, a MOSFET, 2 resistors, a diode...and a tiny pain in the butt.  

and back off topic...
Im just the opposite - I LOVE command line compilers, and HATE giant intergrated environments.  But then again, i've never made anything advanced enough to merit powerful debuggers...

aron

QuoteI LOVE command line compilers, and HATE giant intergrated environments. But then again, i've never made anything advanced enough to merit powerful debuggers...

I think that the more complex the language gets like Objective C and C++ etc... the more you need a good debugger. The one that gets me is when they give you a debugger but you can view variables.... uhhhh?

You should try the Borland Turbo series environments for fun (if they still run). They are free now that MS practically wiped out Borland.

aron

QuoteAnd also, I wanna raise my hat ..... Thank you.

Thanks Christian!!!!

8)

Aron

christian

That´s great if you get 3DPT´s for 6.6$!!
But as I said, SPST kickswitch and some CMOS does the job.. for 2€..?

Visual C is just great, I love it when you can see the asm-code that it generates, so you can tweak out all extra stuff. That´s all I need. I write pretty standard C, so if there´s a problem, it´s either in the algorithm or sloppy writing. I usually just make progs to print the state they are in so I know where the problem lies.
And C++ and Java are just too far out for me. Plain old C and asm is enough.

----

Aron, do you know what you should cook up?
If someone could find a source for really cheap volume-pedals, you
could make a wah-project. You could include the source for the volume-pedal, maybe (if its so cheap) you could get one, take photos of the inside and pick up the wiring for that pedal exactly and PCB for the circuit?
Anything?
who loves rain?

Christ.

jimmy

QuoteA year ago I was learning how to create things for a fighting game called M.U.G.E.N., and was fun, then I entered in stompbox addiction.

ME TOO!!!!! it is pretty cool, ill give it that. but it could be cooler, unlike guitar. guitar could not get ANY cooler.

welcome back christian!

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust