4558N the same thing as 4558D?

Started by Danny G, July 15, 2004, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Just thought I'd ask, with all the probs I'm having with my TS-808 build.

Gracias!

petemoore

Probably very close, they're both Standart Dual OA's.
 Have you taken some OA Pin voltage readings yet?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Danny G

Just making sure.  All the votages are in in 8-9 range, which according to others on this forum, just ain't right.  Something about the voltage divider, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

4558's get no sound.  TL072's produce a distorted farty sound that only vaguely resembles a guitar.

Athin

you're not being man enough for it :D - hit it with a hammer an if it still doesn't work - build a new one - form scratch - I did it with my SansampGT2 [that's a s**load more work than a TS] when it didn't want to work [after 2 weeks of thinking what's wrong I threw it away and made a new one - worked first time]
DIY XOR die.

Danny G

That thought is entering my mind more and more.  I know what's wrong, but can't figure out why.  If it doens't want to work, fine!!!

No soup for you!!!

Fret Wire

If you want to walk away from it for a while, try Runoff Groove's Tube Reamer instead. It's basically a TS stripped down of the FET switching and the buffers. It sounds great. It also has a nice, easy perf layout. You probably have most of the parts already. It uses a 741 type single OA.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/tubereamer.html
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

mirza

i'm building mxr blue box and IC1 is 4558...8pins
i have 4558 with 14pins. what is good 8pin replacement for 4558?
it's working!

petemoore

After weeks of boredom debugging:
 As an alternative, you can go through with the DMM and cehch every single connection, and if you're at all good at math and figureing out possible alternate resistance paths, you may be able to find a wrong resistance between two certain points [math and path must be accounted for, time consuming and alot of if / if nots...] or a missed connection by cold solder.
 Just think of every possible way to get a reading from the board using the DMM in 'all ways' that you can make any sense of....I have a pile of not so good to mostly scavenged boards. 1 more won't hurt too bad...
 Many resistors can be measured on the board, pull all socketted parts, and looking at the schematic...do the path following/math compputing
...and any resistor that reads high between two points is wrong...even with an alternate parallel path it would read low, ones that read low must be figured out if you have to pull one end to read it only.
 Caps...you can change those...had a bad one once er two, 1 bad resistor so far, a 10k read infinite R....believe it....or not.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ildar

Quote from: mirza
what is good 8pin replacement for 4558?
An 8 pin 4558 is a great replacement   :)
Seriously, you can get 8 pin 4558s all day long, for free even. Go to //www.ti.com and request free samples.