Univibe clip..

Started by SteveB, July 15, 2004, 01:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

While certainly not as cool tone-wise as the Staffan Astner clip posted yesterday, this is clip of a song my band recorded about 6 years ago.

For the lead portion, it's a Big Muff into a GEO Univibe, into a distorted tube preamp & Marshall with a 4-12 cab. In certain parts you can hear the certain high frequency swirl that happens when you put a fuzz before the Univibe
http://home.att.net/~eboutte/sst-fighting_time_clip.mp3

Steve

RDV

Hey, you're good! How much drive is set on the BMP? What's the band name?

RDV

Ballz

HEEHAW - !!!!!!!!! :shock:

Bloody AMAZING clip! Wanna get over here and play on my birthday? 8)

Cheers from Sweden /Richard (smiling, ear to ear...)

YouAre

Which univibe is that? is it one of the DIY ones?

SteveB

Thanks guys!

Yes it's a univibe clone built from R.G. Keen's layout, which seems to be the same one that is on the GGG site.

The band was called S.S.T. & we were together for about 3 years then split up. 3 piece power trio thing doing mostly originals with tinges of '70's rock & modern rock. Great drummer & bassist, too.

I set my BMP with the sustain & tone around 9 o'clock, & the volume to whatever works. At the time I was getting distortion sounds from a tube preamp, & would kick in the BMP for additional grind & thickness.

I still use the BMP for a fuzz sound, but the rack preamp is gone, & I'm using a few distortion & OD pedals into a SF Princeton Reverb & Marshall JMP head feeding a 2-12 cab. Much more organic sounding tone than what I was getting back then.

Steve

Ed G.

SteveB

Here are some pics of my vibe. I dripped model car paint on the outside, & tilted it around to get the swirls. I used decal paper & a laser printer to make the lettering. The gold comes from a product called IBI Foil, which RG Keen had turned me onto. After your artwork is printed, you attach a sheet of this thin plastic, metallic looking stuff to the top of your print, & run it through the printer again. The heat fuses the metallic to the laser portions. Then, you spray clear on it, & treat i just like any water slide decal. This was done in 1996, & has seen many gigs, as indicated by the paint chips

I could have used a smaller box, but I was originally planning to have a transformer in there, too. This was built with the film canister light chamber, before RG came up with the metal box versions.

I would have to compare the parts in here to the original layout, but I know I changed a few resistors to get unity gain, & also to get a bit deeper
phase shift.

This was my first heavy duty building project, & I could have never done it without RG's guidance. A true master.

Steve