News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Synthstick

Started by John Egerton, July 15, 2004, 05:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Egerton

Hey guys...

I was wondering if instead of making the touch resistor yourself you could buy one pre made?

I was thinking of mounting one on the side of my guitar..

If so, what are they properly called and where can i get them from??

Thanks

John
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

Tim Escobedo

This is a great question. AFAIK, there isn't much in the way of offerings for small quantities of such a ribbon controller. They must exist... synth mfgrs have been offering such controllers since the 70s.

The closest thing I've found are commercial force sensing resistors. The companies that make these also seem capable of making resistive ribbon controllers. Unfortunately, they only seem interested if you want quantities measured in the tens of thousands.

If anyone has any other leads, please let us know!

puretube

here you go:
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm
(scroll dwn a bit)

it might, however, not be exactly what you`re looking for,
since it is more than just the "variable resistor"...

Tim Escobedo

I've wondered where Doepfer gets his ribbon strips. He does sell spares. At 60 Euros each!

I thought it would be cool if someone made a analog "trackpad" to function similarly to a joystick. One of my dream effects is a guitar mounted trackball, with pitch bend in one axis and ring modulation in the other with a kind of "smart centering/bypass" function when not in use. When I get around to debugging the firmware for the controller, I'll get back to you.   :roll:  :wink:

puretube

...workin`on s.th. similar...

John Egerton

I've just listened to the sound clip of the synthstick...

I didn;t realise that the sound was so low and bassy...

Is there any way of increasing the overall pitch of the device to the standard pitch of a theremin?

I have a ZVex fuzz factory ounted into my guitar... I'm going to try switching the stability control with the synthstick resistor section to see if i can get any funk noises from it...

Thanks

John
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

maximee

OT - Tim Escobedo:

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe interesting for you:
http://www.tfe.umu.se/personliga/jh/    :)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: John EgertonIs there any way of increasing the overall pitch of the device to the standard pitch of a theremin?

Looking at the ckt, I'd try reducing the 0.1 mfd cap going  to "a".
Try .022 for a start.